Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New stash of lumber

Top frame is done, and in the clamps....was a LONG day..
    clamped up.jpg
    Had to take a break before I could clamp and glue this mess...no screws?
    assembled.jpg
    Kind of needed them for these...

Cut the 4 stiles on the small mitre box, at 50-1/2" long....plus 9 rails,
    IMG_5681 (640x480).jpg
    At 11-1/2" long....set aside the scraps, to be cut into those corner blocks..
    Set up to do mortises...
    set up.jpg
    After I had cut all them tenons...as I size the mortise to these..
    tenons.jpg
    Once the mortises were all chopped and fitted, I could work on getting 8 corner blocks fitted and drilled..
    drilled.jpg
    At which point, I found out there were no screws IN the shop. So, after a break to catch up on football, off to buy some screws.

I think that will do for one day....stay tuned...

Monday means the shop is normally closed...

Had a Doctor's Visit today.....was just a Wellness Check-up....40 mile drive each way....

Debating on going to the shop, anyway....bored just sitting around...we'll see.

Stay tuned...

Being bored can be a great motivator....somedays.
    glue up.jpg
    Bottom frame is glued up....and set aside...
    square...jpg
    Had two 1 x 12s that needed trimmed for length. Got rid of the bad square, found one that IS square. These will be 33-1/2" long (tall?) dividers...one of the two boards had "issues" (besides crooked ends)
    bug tracks.jpg
    Guess which part was cut off...
    ! x 12s are a bit too narrow....need them to be about..14" wide. Cut a few 1 x 2s, and glued one on each edge of the 1 x 12..
    panel glue up.jpg
    Once the glue had set up on the frame...I could use those clamps for the other divider..
    second divider.jpg
    And let it hang out here a while...frames can sit a day or two..
    2 frames.jpg
    Have a few other chores to do...like a rebate along the back edges of the two side panels...to house a plywood back. Then start cutting face frame parts out of ash...might even do some assembly, this week?
    Stay tuned

BTW: Anyone want to see HOW I do the mortises on the ends of the frames?

While waiting on Mr.Gumption to haul me to the shop....
    Here goes..
    I
    mark out where a mortise will go, matched to the tenon that will go there...using that tenon as a pattern..
    laid out.jpg
    Whether a normal mortise like this one, or..
    marked out.jpg
    Out on an end, like this one. Figure these would "blow out" anyway. Then some cuts with a backsaw..
    saw work.jpg
    I even drag the toe of the saw back out a few times, to deepen the cut at the back....then a hole is dug..
    digging a hole.jpg
    Then the chisel is layed down, bevel up..
    pop the waste.jpg
    And the waste gets popped out...a bit of pare work until the tenon fits...
    mortise done.jpg
    Looks good...move on to the next hole. Takes about the same amount of time..
    chopped.jpg
    Either way....as long as the tenons fit...
    fitted.jpg
    Works for me..YMMV..

Maybe after supper, I can get to the shop..stay tuned.

Got a bit done, today. Panels are out of the clamps..
    unclamped.jpg
    Marked for width..
    IMG_5732 (640x480).jpg
    Vintage saw to cut the excess off...jointer to remove the wavy cut..
    IMG_5733 (640x480).jpg
    A couple planes to level the panel where the add-ons were
    IMG_5734 (640x480).jpg
    Then the No.7c to level the entire panel..
    IMG_5735 (640x480).jpg
    Wasn't taking all that much off...
    IMG_5736 (640x480).jpg
    Not too bad, for a 100 yr old plane?
    Bought some supplies for the shop..
    IMG_5731 (640x480).jpg
    Might come in handy ( having broken the last set of these...$3.98+tax)
    IMG_5729 (640x480).jpg
    Brought two boxes back to the shop....one has the Stanley #45...this one has a few other planes. Will need to set up the Wards #78 ( Stanley) for a couple rebates
    First, had some holes to drill, and counter sink..Stay tuned, the next part is coming right up

Box with the 45..
    IMG_5730 (640x480).jpg
    That mallet? It WAS that red handled rawhide one I was using the other day. Black tape for the handle, and even wrapped the head. .Put both away, for now...Marked a center line to show where the divders will go..and drilled a few holes..
    IMG_5740 (640x480).jpg
    Then a countersink..
    IMG_5741 (640x480).jpg
    Then set things up, to add a few screws...then set one of the side panels in place..
    IMG_5742 (640x480).jpg
    What you are looking at, is the case on it's side...got the #78 set up, and a scrap of 1/4" plywood to set the depth.
    Set the first panel in the vise, and clamped the far end. And made some shavings..
    IMG_5743 (640x480).jpg
    A LOT of shavings..
    IMG_5746 (640x480).jpg
    Was getting a bit tired..decided to set things up as they will be when done. I'll work on the other rebate later..I just c clamped things up
    IMG_5748 (640x480).jpg
    Need to cut one more rebate for the plywood back. Then work on a face frame...a few shelves, and two doors...might be a busy week?
    "Busy, busy, ..BUSY".....stay tuned...and pass the Gatorade!

This morning's issues with the TV, Phones ( landline and cell) and the computer ( blame it on Hurricane Flo?) kind of forced me to haul some planks to the shop, while waiting for things electronic to repair themselves....took a morning....most issues resolved ....planks also had "issues" seems to be the theme for today?
    IMG_5750 (640x480).jpgIMG_5751 (640x480).jpg
    Two of the 1 x 6 Ash boards...number 3 had a small edge knot as well. Face frame parts to be made this morning...
    Needed to trim one end ( without the knot) nice and square...was having issues with the circular saw wiggling through the cut, so I set up a speed square to guide it along it's merry way..
    IMG_5758 (640x480).jpg
    Then turn things around, and cut this one for length...then got out some layout toys..
    IMG_5759 (640x480).jpg
    Mark a few lines..curves and straights. On the third try, I found a SHARP blade for the Vintage B&D Green Sabresaw....was a case of clamp, saw, move, clamp, saw....reach the center, turn things around and start from the other end....clamp, saw, move, clamp, saw...until the last of the "scrap" dropped off. Stand it up on the bench..
    IMG_5761 (640x480).jpg
    Then set it out of the way ( had more boards to mill) so might as well see what it will look like?
    IMG_5762 (640x480).jpg
    Had two "stiles' to mill...3/4" x 2" x 40" long. Then a top rail @ 3/4" x 3" x 52-1/2" long...
    Still need to do the center two rails, and build a fixed shelf in the middle...and..maybe something else....

Used the bench's crochet..
    IMG_5763 (640x480).jpg
    Set in place, mallet to drive the board tight, tighten the leg vise....and run the Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7 a few times.
    Set the four parts set are milled into place ( roughly, no joints have been done, yet) may do just plain old 1/2 laps? We'll see...
    IMG_5767 (640x480).jpg
    Figured this was enough for one morning....got the stuff upstairs fixed, repaired, restarted....and set down in front of a fan....I am soaked. Road trip after a bit, lumber run! Maybe later this evening, I can get a little bit done?
    Stay tuned

Road trip done. Had to cut two 1 x 6 x 11' 9" Ash boards down a bit.....to fit in my van....one "Half" of each is 80" long

Flooring shorts were planed down....to remove the old finish....and those grooves on the back....seems to be a mix of Oak and Cherry....May use the oak as panels for the doors....where the "fake" drawers were on the original piece.

Will see how Supper settles in....may go back to the shop,later.

Stay tuned..

Those "fake" drawers will get combined into a single drawer in the middle. Need to build two webframes for that. Face frame to it's front,one is the top rail, the lower one has a curve cut to it....then a fixed shelf over the opening for the heater insert. Not using the shelf pins in the side openings, inside the two doors, will be just two fixed shelves inside each.

May work on gluing up a top for this thing...will see how today goes along.

Got a couple tasks done, so far.....out of a long list...taking a Gatorade Break along with a few Cheese Sticks.....then back to work..

3 tasks were completed today.....in 4 hours? Getting slow in me dotage.....Anyway..needed to reabte the back edge of the other side panel...BEFORE I can attach the sides to the "mainframes"
    rebate.jpg
    Wards (Stanley) #78 made a mess, too.
    shavings.jpg
    All of that, from one rebate?
    Took a bit of moving things around, a lot of cussing ( Paris Island Day #1) and finally..
    sides attached.jpg
    Oh, and turn this thing around, so I can work on the front of the case. Whew....two tasks done.....#3 will take a while longer...
    Unable to get to my "normal" Mitresaws....set out the GEM Mitre box. Used both a Disston D-112 and the No.4 I use for joinery,,,had to cut parts for two webframes..
    parts.jpg
    Tenons were done at the bandsaw. One part in this stack is for a kicker. It will go under the frame above the drawer. Kicker keeps the drawer from tipping down, when you slide it out a bit far..
    Got one frame done, and stashed out of the way, until the glue dries..
    assembled.jpg
    Will drill it for screws, later. set up for the second frame....
    breaktime.jpg
    Decided it was time for a Gatorade Break...
    Stay tuned...

Got the mounting holes drilled....kicker attached...needed a way to "locate" where this will go....clamped the top rail to the case. Bottom edge of the kicker is flush with the bottom edge of the top rail
    top drawer frame.jpg
    Was a tight, slip-fit anyway. Once the front of the kicker was where it was supposed to be, I could set up a combo square to check the depth of the rest of the frame. hammer to "nudge" it into place. Drive a few 2" screws, no glue.
    The other frame needed drilled and counter bored...ran out of the longer screws...
    last frame.jpg
    Does not need a kicker. needed to "locate" where this will go. Have a blank for the drawer front. Frame needs to be just a hair below the bottom edge of the blank. Clamped the blank in place..
    drawer front.jpg
    Mark a few lines. Remove the blank, and a large square to carry the top line all the way across to the back....heavy line..so I can see it. Again, a tight slip-fit, hammer to nudge it along, one side screwed in place..more nudging...drive one screw with the hammer, to stop any wiggling going on...then drive the screws home..whew..
    IMG_5778 (640x480).jpg
    Waiting for when the drawer appears on the to-do list..
    bottom frame.jpg
    And that was the third task for today. Stashed the rest of the parts, about where they will go...
    stashed.jpg
    4 hours work. Need to mill the rest of the face frame parts, connect them all up, and attach them to the case....have an 80" long 1 x 6 to cut into parts.
    Have enough other 1 x 6s to make a top panel..54" long....should be a three board glue up....THAT will be fun...anyone want to show up and help out?

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-13-2018 at 6:56 PM.

Looking good, Steven.

Thanks for looking in.

This is the way I was taught to do these...back in the 60s...
    Mark it out, then it is as simple as 1
    IMG_5781 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_5782 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_5783 (640x480).jpg
    repeat as needed.
    IMG_5785 (640x480).jpg
    the four corners have been milled, need fine tuned. There will be two more uprights, one on either side of the drawer opening.....currently being jointed to look alike..
    IMG_5787 (640x480).jpg
    3/4" x 2" x 39" long...had to stop and run some errands...maybe be later, eh?