Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminology for elbow - female to male 1/4 inch compression fitting?

Terminology for elbow - female to male 1/4 inch compression fitting?

I need a 90 degree elbow that attaches to the end of 1/4 inch male compression fitting on one end and presents a 1/4 inch male compression fitting on the the other end. What's the proprer terminology to describes the female end of the elbow? Is it 3/8 inch NTPF?

The elbow is for the water supply line to the ice maker on a refrigerator. By local standards, this elbow is a rare part. None of the hardware stores stock it. I'll have to order it online, so I need the correct terminology.

The standard fitting for an icemaker would be a 1/4" male NPT x 1/4" compression elbow. Your description is a.bit misleading but if your trying to come our of the solenoid on the fridge for an icemaker connection youd be going from 1/4" npt to compression. Not compression to compression and not NPTf to compression. It would just be NPT to compression and they should be readily available in a 90 or a straight connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Your description is a.bit misleading .
    I need an elbow with a female end that fits over a 1/4 inch macle compression fitting and a male end that is a male 1/4 inch compression fitting. (Maybe "compression fitting" automatically refers to male fittings?)

The difficulty I have with terminology is a "1/4 inch" male compression fitting has a diameter of about 3/8t hs of an inch. So what's the proper terminology for describing a female fitting that fits over a "1/4 inch" male compression fitting?

The female fitting doesn't involve a sleeve and a compression nut. I want it to screw the female end directly on to the male part of a 1/4 inch compression fitting - like ordinary non-compression pipes are joined.

Perhaps the threads on compression fittings aren't designed to make a tight connection this way?

Blog Entries
    Take one of your compression fittings to Lowes or Home Depot. They have a whole selection of 1/4" npt fittings to choose from including 90 degree elbows (two male or female ends), street elbows (one male one female end), and 45 degree elbows in each variety.
    elbow 1.jpgelbow 2.jpgelbow3.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Compression fittings are all female, with the line, nut and compression ring being the male part.

I've been to local hardware stores and, according to the staff, they don't stock the elbow I want. I didn't find one when I looked myself.

In case my question still isn't clear, here is a photo. The copper line will be replaced by the braided line, but the braided line has a burst protector on the end, so it can't make the right angle turn to go from the valve up the wall.IceMakerLine.jpg

You can take another route using stuff that will be locally available. A short pipe nipple to extend from the tee and a pipe street ell to point it up. Attach the valve and reuse your existing compression adapter.

This is at least similar to what you need. You use your lines compression fitting rather than the one that comes on the fitting. You might need a reducing bushing to get you from the valve to the elbow.

lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-4-in-Compression-x-MIP-Elbow-Fitting/1000505417

A 90 degree pipe fitting that's male on on one end and female on the other is called a street elbow.

It's hard to tell from the photo but on the discharge side of the valve looks like a 1/2" NPT to a 1/4" compression fitting. That can be removed and replaced with a 90 degree version.

Or is there a reason you absolutely need to use the fitting on the valve? If so get a street elbow of the size the NPT end of the fitting and install it between the valve and the fitting. That'll give you the 90 turn you want.

I never liked using street elbows, it just seemed a makeshift fix for sloppy work. But a couple stuck together can get you out of a a lot of plumbing problems. One would take care of yours.

(Edit: I know, I just echoed what everyone else said).
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 09-05-2018 at 1:54 AM.

Stephen take the pieces you need to go from and to and try the auto parts store or a true plumbing supply house. It appears that you need to take that compression adaptor out of the house valve. Replace that with a bushing to get to 1/4" NPT and than use a regular 1/4" NPT to compression ell. I'm guessing but that house valve looks like it may be 3/8". So you need a 3/8" to 1/4" NPT bushing, a 1/4" NPT to compression ell.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Good luck with this. This kind of thing drives me insane. There seems to be dozens of ways to accomplish what you want to do but each one has a road block of some sort. Everyone can tell you how to do it but words do not quite do the job. I almost always wind of taking the parts to a store that is NOT a borg or chain hardware store. and having them sell me the parts I need. An alternative of course is to find the parts diagram and buy the parts from the source.

Based upon picture, turn off valve, disconnect supply tubing, then remove fitting between valve and tubing. Take it with you to hwd store and buy a BRASS street elbow in the size needed. Screw in street elbow into valve, using teflon plumbing paste. Don't use tape as it could cause vale to not seat correctly. Screw adapter into elbow and add new line. Bruce Wrenn, P-1 Plumbing licensee in a previous lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Based upon picture, turn off valve, disconnect supply tubing, then remove fitting between valve and tubing. Take it with you to hwd store and buy a BRASS street elbow in the size needed. Screw in street elbow into valve, using teflon plumbing paste. Don't use tape as it could cause vale to not seat correctly. Screw adapter into elbow and add new line. Bruce Wrenn, P-1 Plumbing licensee in a previous lifetime.
    That's a good summary of the majority opinion. I will comply!

You'll never find a female compression anything. Snap a photo and post it here and I'll guarantee you your making things more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Compression fittings are all female, with the line, nut and compression ring being the male part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You'll never find a female compression anything. Snap a photo and post it here and I'll guarantee you your making things more difficult.
    Looks like we have a difference of opinion!

The the tube that's being connected goes inside the compression nut, ferrule and the fitting body. To me that makes a compression fitting the female portion. So I have to side with Bruce on this.

Mark, why would you say it isn't female? Is it male or do you use a different terminology from another trade?

-Tom