Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WTB 3 wire 4 gage copper "Romex"

Blog Entries

WTB 3 wire 4 gage copper "Romex"

My electrical contractor says we need 4 gage wire, 3 wire "Romex" to run from main home panel to the one in the detached garage.
    I need less than 100 feet. The big box stores in my area ( iowa/Illinois Qwad Cities) sell only reels starting at 500 and up.
    Where would a person look for a per-foot seller?
    He wanted to use 2 gage (I asked him to over build it) , but, again, the big box stores? Priced we looked at in Menards start at $2,000/roll.
    The shop will have 2 separate 240 circuits and about 30 120 outlets.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 09-04-2018 at 2:36 PM.

Home Depot has it by the foot in my city. When I did my sub panel I got mine by the foot at a local electrical supply. If you have a City Electrical Supply in your area they should have what you need by the foot.

Try searching for 2-2-2-4 SER cable. Any decent electrical supply house will sell it by the foot; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...1302/202316577

You need four conductors to feed a subpanel in a detached structure.

Maybe find a different electrical contractor....
    You need to run 4 wires, 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. And you need ground rods at the garage since it is detached. Unless you have only 240 volt loads, but even then I would run a neutral.
    If the feed is underground, you either need direct burial cable, or you need to run watertight conduit (recommended). Direct burial cable is not "romex" and if you have conduit, you would run individual wires, not romex, especially in that gauge.
    Finally, an electrical contractor that doesn't know where to get any of these common supplies in your area is not an electrical contractor I would use.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you don't want to mess this up.

Blog Entries
    He's my son-in-law. He knows some places, but just to help this thing along, I told him I'd do some looking while he's at work. Won't be able to finish the job before the weekend.

He was using a lot of terms I'm not familiar with and he may very well have not given thought to my comments. I'M sure he knows what he's doing. He is licensed commercial besides residential.
    One could argue that I'm not qualified to even ask such questions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Try searching for 2-2-2-4 SER cable. Any decent electrical supply house will sell it by the foot; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...1302/202316577

You need four conductors to feed a subpanel in a detached structure.
    Wow! I'm having to pay out more than the price of the shop alone for perferals.

Blog Entries
    He referred to the wire as NM-B.

Dedicated electrical suppliers sell wire significantly cheaper than Home Depot, and the larger wires can be bought by the foot. Some states require a license to buy in such stores. Some don't. Since you didn't list a location, I have no idea.

I bought mine, priced by the foot, at HD locally about 10 years ago. After seeing what the cost is now, I am glad I did it 10 years ago!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Wow! I'm having to pay out more than the price of the shop alone for perferals.
    They sell it by the foot at HD.

Blog Entries
    Use aluminum if you want to save some $$$. Nothing wrong with it at all as long as it's handled & terminated correctly.

Go to a real electrical supplier. They will sell you what you need and probably cheaper than the big box stores.

#4? Sounds kind of wimpy to me for a shop which could limit your future use. I ran #1 copper underground to mine.
    Instead of cable maybe you Can you run individual wires in conduit? Also, you may be able to use a smaller gauge on the neutral and ground wires. Maybe ask a another electrician for a second "opinion." Find one who knows where to buy wire other than the retail stores.

Bill

I don't know where you live but you have a few options. And yes, there are some disconnects in what you're asking for.
    If the garage is detached then you're either going to use direct burial cable, which may be what SIL is referring to as "Romex" for simplicity of conversation, or you're going to bury conduit and pull individual THWN rated conductors. I suspect the latter. Direct burial isn't that common any longer.
    You can put direct burial cable in conduit, but the circular cross section for #4 direct burial cable would require 4" conduit, whereas 4, #4 THWN conductors could fit into 1-1/2" conduit easily. No matter what goes in the ground, it's coming up in conduit at both ends. The only increase in cost is going to be the 10 sections, of 10' conduit, in between.
    I would listen to him about using the #2 AWG.
    A "real" electrical supply house will sell wire by the foot, but expect to pay a little bit more for it. A roll price would be less per foot, but more over all.
    Bury the conduit, and pull #2 THWN conductors. Put another conduit for low voltage in the same trench if allowed by local code. Do it once, it's a bigger job than you might think, even when only going 100'.The real work is at both ends of the trench.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-05-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Bill
    Put another conduit for low voltage in the same trench if allowed by local code. Do it once, it's a bigger job than you might think, even when only going 100'.The real work is at both ends of the trench.
    Absolutely. TV/Network/Phone (if you have a wired phone). How about water?

Why not use aluminum instead of copper?