Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimax SC3 questions

I always felt that the SC2 was a very underrated saw. Huge in Europe but the no-dado thing was an issue in the US. We had one in the Austin showroom for a while and I was really impressed with the build quality. On a side note since Scott mentioned it, I never really found the protrusion of the wagon to be an issue. Possibly since I was used to using a slider. In fact, I still stand substantially to the left of the blade even when using the delta cabinet saw in our shop. CU300 habit. The other guys think I’m funny or don’t know how to use the machine...

Erik

I think my only gripe about it is the rip fence being too wide. i rarely if ever push anything between it and the blade w/o using the slider. Somewhat eats up shop space.

Awesome saw otherwise.

giant on mine peter as well like to find a way the bar could have an internal thread or something and take it down a fold up table could be there and thread the cut off bar in if needed, havent given it much thought so far but its more than ill need

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I think my only gripe about it is the rip fence being too wide. i rarely if ever push anything between it and the blade w/o using the slider. Somewhat eats up shop space.
    Have you considered shortening it? I came close to that with my S315WS, but got lucky in that just shortening the table fixed my space situation with a stairway without actually cutting the rail because of how the room changes "right there". But if I moved to another shop, I'd probably chop it off at this point...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The SC3C is not new, but we had stopped bringing them into the USA for stock. However, it is back now for this year. It adds to the lineup for short stroke machines, since the SC4E 5.5' was discontinued. The major difference between it and the SC2C is, we bring it in with a "panel saw" cabinet, so you'll have more support under the slider, a telescopic boom arm to support the larger outrigger, and we also bring it in with more options as "standard" for the USA (the stock configuration). Basically, we built it to replace the SC4E 5.5', and the SC3C is available in two strokes here in the USA, 66" and 88". It really takes up the gray area of any cabinet saw, and depending on where you mount your outrigger it can be a 36" stroke machine or a 63" stroke machine (66" for straightlining - no crosscut fence). If you limit yourself to the stroke you think you want most of the time, you won't have any extra for when you want it, so I usually recommend you go as long as you can on a slider. And the SC3C comes with the separate miter gauge, which can be your go to configuration without the outrigger installed, so much less space will be intruded on most of the time.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Have you considered shortening it? I came close to that with my S315WS, but got lucky in that just shortening the table fixed my space situation with a stairway without actually cutting the rail because of how the room changes "right there". But if I moved to another shop, I'd probably chop it off at this point...
    I did cut a foot or so off the bar but the fabricated steel table it attaches to on the right would be complicated to modify w/o a shear and brake.

The heavier weight fence is definitely worth the upgrade cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco View Post
    And the SC3C comes with the separate miter gauge, which can be your go to configuration without the outrigger installed, so much less space will be intruded on most of the time.
    I cannot emphasize how much I appreciate that my slider came with that miter guage, too. It gets 90% of my crosscut work and it provides better support for the workpiece since it's generally behind the workpiece as it goes through the blade, rather than in front of the workpiece as is typical with the larger outrigger and bigger stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anyone buying as saw from SCM–make sure to add on the miter fence during the initial sale transaction! You'll be looking to a Kapex or an Omga as a less expensive alternative if you try to acquire one through Parts Pronto afterwards.