Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax SC3 questions

Question Minimax SC3 questions

This saw says it’s a short stroke saw. How much space in front and behind does this saw need? And how much cut does the slider allow? And any idea of total foot print space needed? It looks huge to me but can’t tell from the pictures if it would fit my 2 car garage space. Lastly how does it differ from the SC3C and the newer SC2C? Thanks.

The SC2 replaced the SC3 so the dimensions are likely similar. You may want to contact Sam Blasco to see if he can confirm the specifications. I believe you have a 5'5" wagon on the SC3. My 8'6" wagon on the S315WS requires 19' for total stroke.

Here's an image of the SC3:

Here's the SC2 that replaced it:

Page 60 of this document has the dimensions for the SC2

https://www.scmgroup.com/products/do..._jan18_Ing.pdf
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. That link is very confusing. It lists the dimensions of the SC2C as 3860 mm or 12.6’ across the slide. Can’t help but th8nk that implies the full front to back movement of the slide as surely the slide isn’t a full 12’ long, right?

Would fit fine into a 2 car garage.

I’ll have to do some measuring. That’s 10’ wide and a 12.6’ slide front to back. Not sure that will fit comfortably with my other stuff in that garage. I’ve just gone through a very cathartic process of thinning down the herd in there. Want to try to keep the space as open and functional as I can but really do think a slider would be a nice upgrade. The hammer 48x48 might be a smaller unit, but the minimax is nice since it has a 5/8” arbor.

Tight squeeze with existing tools?
    Now you know why they also offer a J/P combo!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Tight squeeze with existing tools?
    Now you know why they also offer a J/P combo!
    Yep but I literally just bought a stand alone hammer A3-31. Actually waiting on the truck to get here any time in next hour. Of course it’s pouring rain right now too.

That said, my space probably doesn’t allow this saw so the smaller Hammer K3 may be the only option. Will know more once I get my space finished up and can measure.

You know you don't HAVE to use the full stroke don't you?
    If a 48" would work for the type of woodworking you do, then not using the full stroke is feasible. AND you can clear out the space for the odd time or two you need the extra stroke.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

The SC2 Classic really doesn't consume a ton of space. Easy enough to remove the long crosscut fence when not in use and as above you probably won't be using the entire length of the sliding table most of the time.

So the outrigger table folds away behind it when not in use? That feature may keep it in the game then. Thanks.

Yes. Often times I just have the accessory miter fence with support table set up if I'm not cutting a lot of larger parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    So the outrigger table folds away behind it when not in use? That feature may keep it in the game then. Thanks.
    The outrigger is removable and indexed so if you take it off and put it back on, things stay true. I used to remove my outrigger on my S315WS before cutting down the right side table as it forced me to crawl under it sometimes because of shop space. I don't have to do that anymore with the change and it stays on, but I have no issue taking it off if I need the space for finishing or a major assembly operation.

Peter, thanks for posting that diagram...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

how much does that saw weigh? dont see it in the specs

Think it's around 900lbs.

I opted for the Hammer K3 49". Plenty of capacity to crosscut sheet goods, and for us....and this was a major factor...we needed a saw that could function like a traditional cabinet saw for rip cuts using the rip fence. With the sliding table forward, it sits flush with the rear of the table which makes it ergonomically the same as a cabinet. IIRC, the SC2 protruded >1' past the rear of the table, making it difficult (with added danger) when doing traditional fence ripping.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.