Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw delima

I have the 513X2. It's a good saw. It does have the resaw fence and cast iron trunions and wheels. My only complaints are the tires failed on mine pretty quickly (less than a few hours of use). May have been the 1" blade. I bought better urethane tires and it's been good since. However, for the money being spent, the extra $300 for the 19" 3HP saw might be worth it. Though I have never had a HP issue with the 513.

I stand corrected thanks for the details.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    With the Grizzly 17" and 19" bandsaw I would recommend you get get a model that has the cast iron trunnions rather than the stamped steel trunnions. It's a big improvement, in my opinion. It's also available as an upgrade part. I used to have a Jet 18" bandsaw with a 10" resaw height and a 1-3/4 hp motor. It cut turning blanks up to 10" just fine. That said, my friend's saw with a 4-1/2 hp motor cut the same thing noticeably faster. I would expect the 17" Grizzly to work just fine. I now have a 1hp 1950s 14" Delta bandsaw and an electric chainsaw.

--Geoff
    Just for an opposing view, I have two G0513’s, one with stamped steel trunnions and one with cast iron. There is no noticable difference to me at all between the two machines even under material of a great weight.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I see Grizzly has their cheaper G0513 on sale right now. It has aluminum wheels.

I have the 17" Griz. bandsaw and it does a good job. I did have to replace the tires on it a couple years after I got it. It is a pain to get aligned but once aligned it stays . The table is kind of small but most are. I have used it for cutting turning blanks and resawing with good results. I have the one with a foot brake to stop the blade and like the brake. It has a tension release on the blade and after a few months I quit releasing the tension. It doesn't seem to help and I sometimes forget to re tension. I'm not to wild about the bearing type blade guides but they do work.
    Fred

I have the 17 inch saw with the cast trunion and as some has mention the only issue I have had with my saw after 5 years is the tires failed within a week after buying but I put the urethane on and still running them. I did replace all of the blade guide bearing this year still saw great. Glad I bought the 17 might should have gone with a 19 but for cutting blanks and maybe resawing a few small butt cuts it is great.

Thank you fellas for all the input. I have been out of town for the last 10 days for work and just now getting back to this. The fella who had the Min Max couldn't or wouldn't get the saw on a pallet. If he could have I would have sent a truck. So, Now back to this. I like the GO514 they have two versions I'm looking at on with a foot brake and one with the motor brake, they are 100 bucks apart so basically not enough for me to squabble over. They do have two different fences as well both have the extra heavy tilt mechanism. Does anybody have any pros/cons about these two. At normal price these will take up the better part of 2000.00 so here we go what else should I look for in this price range and why? Ill take 16 and up as long as its at least 12 in height. I really don't see re sawing over 12 but you never know.

Van the min max was a 16 with a 3.6hp I believe to be made in 2003. I would love to have a nice min-max or other high end but I just can not find a logical justification for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    Thank you fellas for all the input. I have been out of town for the last 10 days for work and just now getting back to this. The fella who had the Min Max couldn't or wouldn't get the saw on a pallet. If he could have I would have sent a truck. So, Now back to this. I like the GO514 they have two versions I'm looking at on with a foot brake and one with the motor brake, they are 100 bucks apart so basically not enough for me to squabble over. They do have two different fences as well both have the extra heavy tilt mechanism. Does anybody have any pros/cons about these two. At normal price these will take up the better part of 2000.00 so here we go what else should I look for in this price range and why? Ill take 16 and up as long as its at least 12 in height. I really don't see re sawing over 12 but you never know.

Van the min max was a 16 with a 3.6hp I believe to be made in 2003. I would love to have a nice min-max or other high end but I just can not find a logical justification for it.
    If you are running at 2K then the Laguna 18BX and the Rikon 10-347 are IMO better values and better saws than the Grizzly 514 series. Grizzly used to completely own the value proposition between 1k and 2k but they haven't updated their saws in this range (save for adding the bigger 14" steel saw at ~1.5k) in years. Rikon and Laguna have really put a lot of effort into this price range and have several really great saws. There is nothing wrong with the 514 series, it is just as good as it always was it has just been eclipsed in the price range, and fairly handily at that. The Rikon has 19" of resaw and 4hp AND a 5 year warranty along with much more user-friendly guides. Now as a turner the Laguna has the advantage of ceramic guides which IMO are the best guides for cutting wet/pitchy wood plus 16" of resaw.

Also never expect non-dealers to pallet or crate used machines, that is just rarely going to happen. 99% of the time you deal with all the logistics.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van I have a friend that has the Rikon and has had some fence issues but it is and older one, Have they worked on this area in resent years? I'll look into the laguna 18bx. I was a little leery because of past customer support complaints. I understand this has been remedied. Maybe I should call their support and see what they say.

I guess putting a piece of equipment on a pallet and bolting it down is some how difficult. I really don't get that but to each his own.

I have a G0513X2F and it’s a good saw but if I were to be buying right now in a similar price range I would get one of the Laguna 18BX without a doubt. With it being on sale through October it’s $200 off and closer to the more similar grizzly model G0513X2BF. My saw has handles anything I’ve tried with it but my complaints are that the base feels flimsy for a 300+ pound saw, the blade size is unique and not normally stocked at local stores and the saw is hit or miss on whether you can properly tension some wider 3/4 or 1 inch blades. None are total deal killers if you can’t put the extra $250 into it but for realistically not much more than that grizzly the Laguna appears to be a better built saw. From playing with the floor model at woodcraft, the extra weight and heft is apparent, it felt more solidly planted to the floor. the Local woodcraft stores will probably stock blades for it which may or may not matter but in a pinch it’s nice to be able to run grab one locally versus order and wait. The ceramic guides seem nicer than the roller guides on my grizzly. The dust ports both being on the back of the saw is better in my opinion. The 3hp motor is a nice step up. The extra resale capacity is nice. The optional mobility kit is nice if space is a premium as it takes less space than a mobile base. The laguna lights are handy as I like the one on my lathe.

Anyway, unless you are stepping up to a $4k+ minimax, or buying a used Italian saw, or a new Italian laguna, I think the new 18BX looks like a terrific option. In my case already having the grizzly, there doesn’t appear to be enough reason to sale and replace, but if I were just buying that laguna looks great.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-21-2018 at 7:15 AM.

Thanks Greg, It would appear that the 18bx has some good reviews and the ceramic guides seam to be a plus especially for green wood which I cut 35-40% of the time. I do like the cast iron trunions on the grizzly514 and the extra support that the hand crank (for tilt). I feel I need to compare the 514 to the bx because of the hp offered but who knows. I have delt with grizzly on support issues and I think it is difficult to beat their customer support but having said that I rarely need it. The most common thing I have needed was BS guide bearings. The bx especially sense it is on sale appears to be the right move at this time. If anyone has any feed back on the fence quality and any other comment please let me hear your opinions. Thanks everyone for helping out here.

Thanks Greg, It would appear that the 18bx has some good reviews and the ceramic guides seam to be a plus especially for green wood which I cut 35-40% of the time. I do like the cast iron trunions on the grizzly514 and the extra support that the hand crank (for tilt). I feel I need to compare the 514 to the bx because of the hp offered but who knows. I have delt with grizzly on support issues and I think it is difficult to beat their customer support but having said that I rarely need it. The most common thing I have needed was BS guide bearings. The bx especially sense it is on sale appears to be the right move at this time. If anyone has any feed back on the fence quality and any other comment please let me hear your opinions. Thanks everyone for helping out here.

I cant offer any input compared to the 514 but compared to the 513 as was mentioned in earlier posts I think the 18BX is better buy.

Van I have a friend that has the Rikon and has had some fence issues but it is and older one, Have they worked on this area in resent years? I'll look into the laguna 18bx. I was a little leery because of past customer support complaints. I understand this has been remedied. Maybe I should call their support and see what they say.
    The 10-347 is a completely new saw. It is by far the best BS Rikon has ever built. The guide and fence issues have been fixed on all their saws, without that I would not recommend them and generally avoided recommending them in the past. Both the guides and fences have been completely redesigned.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about Laguna's CS now, since they changed the entire business model (including taking in a big chunk of capital from an investor but with the family retaining 51% of the company) they have CS equal to the best machine importers. With the current sale the 18BX becomes a no-brainer, especially for a turner that cuts a lot of green wood.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the 513/514 series, they are just as good as they have always been, Rikon and Laguna have just gotten MUCH better in this price range recently and eclipsed Grizzly in value.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’m liking the Laguna. My only concern is parts down the road, most of this equipment will last 5+ years without much trouble. If I know me I’ll keep this purchase for as long as practical

I’m liking the Laguna. My only concern is parts down the road, most of this equipment will last 5+ years without much trouble. If I know me I’ll keep this purchase for as long as practical

The parts issue is a tough one to figure. If you ask the forum 15 years ago which company out of General, Delta and Laguna would be the most viable in 2018 it is unlikely you would get anyone that said Laguna. General is dead, Delta seems to be on life support with almost no stocking dealers and Laguna has well over 100 stocking dealers now. That said if I had to choose based on long-term parts availability alone I would choose Grizzly but then again I would have picked Delta in 2003...