Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw delima

bandsaw delima

I'm looking to buy a new bandsaw soon. I have search the reviews and I need some more resent reviews on the grizzly G0514X2 and the comparable G0513x2 at normal price they are 300 bucks apart. The 19inch has a 3hp motor and the 17 has 2hp the 19 table is a little bigger and the 19 has a wheel to adjust the angle of the table as opposed to a geared lever. I am posting this in the turners section because I will be cutting wood to meet turning needs primarily. I do some resawing and was able to get very nice resaws on my G0555 so I really do not have any concerns that either one of these machines will do what I need. I want to hear about issues and how happy you have been with your purchase if you have either model please respond. I really want to know if the 2hp is a stout enough motor to resaw up to the 12 inch height limit. I just want some recent reviews. I do not want to here about other saws, there are many great saws out there but I would like to stick with one of these.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    I really want to know if the 2hp is a stout enough motor to resaw up to the 12 inch height limit. I just want some recent reviews. I do not want to here about other saws, there are many great saws out there but I would like to stick with one of these.
    I know nothing about those saws. I do have another brand (which you won't hear about) which has a 2 HP motor. I use it mostly to cut green and dry wood for turning up to the maximum height, just over 12". I also resaw as needed. The 2 HP motor is well strong enough on my saw. I primarily use 1/2" 3 tpi blades. I think I've had it over 10 years now.

ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_141342_010.jpg ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_175649_933.jpg bowl_blank_ambrosia_maple.jpg

JKJ

I can't tell you about the Grizzly saws as I have never used one, and don't/won't own one (quality issues are not as bad as they used to be..). The smaller saws with 1 hp motors, usually with riser blocks are pretty minimal for cutting 12 inches high as in yes they can do it, but they have to struggle to do it. 2 hp should be plenty to cut 12 inches high. My big saw, cutting 16 inches high has a 4.5 hp Baldor motor and it walks through stuff at 16 inches high. Of course, if you don't have a good sharp blade, hp makes no difference... 3 hp might cut 16 inches high... Most bandsaws have tables that are way too small, especially on the off feed end.

robo hippy

Thanks John, I know that sounded kind of closed but I was just trying to avoid the 13 different models everyone would mention. This for some reason has been gut wrenching on selecting a saw. I just do not want to be disappointed and I just can't justify a Italian saw. I know there are others out there and most are probably pretty good but I have enough confidence in grizzly that I can get it tuned. I was able to tune the G0555 I had and get surprisingly good results.

Thanks Reed. as mention above just can't swing the great ones. I am pretty sure the 12 inch height it enough for me, I was just unsure if the 2hp would be overworked and the 3hp would be needed. I never cut higher than 6 inches on the little 555 just thought a riser would overwork the saw.

T...I never cut higher than 6 inches on the little 555 just thought a riser would overwork the saw.
    I don't know what a 555 is but It might cut better than you are imagining. For years I used a 14" delta with a riser block for the same kinds of turning stock I do with the 18" 2HP saw now. It has a 3/4 hp motor.

I made hundreds of 12" cuts with that saw and I never knew it was underpowered. I didn't get in a hurry. Before I knew it was supposed to take a big saw I resawed a 12' long douglas fir 2x12 into four thin boards and although it took a while they were perfect. A sharp blade helps. (I resharpen the blades several times myself before putting on a new one.)

But my 2 HP saw cuts faster and I use the extra width a lot when cutting shorter blanks from boards and slabs so the little saw just sees smaller work now.

JKJ

With the Grizzly 17" and 19" bandsaw I would recommend you get get a model that has the cast iron trunnions rather than the stamped steel trunnions. It's a big improvement, in my opinion. It's also available as an upgrade part. I used to have a Jet 18" bandsaw with a 10" resaw height and a 1-3/4 hp motor. It cut turning blanks up to 10" just fine. That said, my friend's saw with a 4-1/2 hp motor cut the same thing noticeably faster. I would expect the 17" Grizzly to work just fine. I now have a 1hp 1950s 14" Delta bandsaw and an electric chainsaw.

--Geoff

I have the 17 inch grizzly 0513 anv. model for a coulpa years and it has been a good machine with no problems

Thank you fellas, It looks like the 17 inch will be plenty for the 12 inch height. good this will save 300 bucks. I appreciate your time.

I should have mentioned that the griz resaw fence is not very costly as a accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I should have mentioned that the griz resaw fence is not very costly as a accessory.
    The 513/514X2 comes with the resaw fence.

To the OP I will resist the urge to suggest different saws per your request but two things about the two you mentioned. 1. ever here anyone complain that they bought too big of a saw or too much HP? 2. my rule of thumb for cut depth vs hp is 1/4hp per inch for a BS with the proper blade 3. doing log work on a bandsaw one wants as large of a table as possible as well as a very stable one especially when tilted, the 514X2 has about 20% more table space and a more robust tilting mechanism.

While not my choice in the general price range, for the cuts you outlined and between the two you specified the 514X2 is the better choice IMO and worth the $300 BUT the value of $300 is a very personal thing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

11. I have a Grizzly G0555LX 14” bandsaw with 1 hp motor. I also have a Jet 18” bandsaw in my shop. I have found that 95% or more of the time I can use my 14” Grizzly G0555LX for most bowl blank cutting as well as spindle blanks. I do have the riser block kit on it, where it will adjust to cut 12” height. My saw is set up correctly, and I use the Woodturners blade from Highland Woodworking, which is especially designed to cut green wood.

Most of the time, I never use the big Jet, as the cutting height on it is also 12” and the Grizz does a super job. The Jet does have more power, but with a good blade, proper feed rate, and correct blade tension, my G0555LX has all the power needed to cut 12” thick bowl blanks...done it many, many times!

I mostly reserve the big Jet 18” for resawing, or cutting boards from logs, so it does get used, but only a little for very large turning blanks that won’t be stable on the smaller table of the G0555LX 14” saw.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Points duly noted,Van I'm leaning toward the 514 if I buy new looking at a used min max right now, hopefully I can end up with it

Points duly noted,Van I'm leaning toward the 514 if I buy new looking at a used min max right now, hopefully I can end up with it
    Which Minimax are you looking at?

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think people were getting confused about a rip fence that comes with the griz bandsaw . or the optional resaw fence that can be bolted to the stock fence. It is about 5 inches tall if memory serves me right.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I think people were getting confused about a rip fence that comes with the griz bandsaw . or the optional resaw fence that can be bolted to the stock fence. It is about 5 inches tall if memory serves me right.
    I don't think so. Both the 513X2 and the 514X2 (the saws the OP lists) come with the aluminum resaw extrusion which attaches to the standard fence. The only saws in the 513/514 series that do not include the resaw extrusion are the stripped down 513 and 513ANV, the bottom of the line 19" saw the 514X also has the extrusion.