Thread: Advice needed on selling my large shop tools

Advice needed on selling my large shop tools

Hi, guys and gals.
    I had my 80th BD back in October. Haven't done any woodworking for a while now, and I'm thinking of selling my shop machines. All tools are in good working order.
    Can you all give me some good advice on, 1) how to price, 2) best method for selling (I live in a small town in TN), 3) any other advice you may wish to toss my way.
    I really hate to sell these, but it's been so long since they've been used much.
    Carl
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-04-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I’d post on Craigslist. Take allot of pictures of each tool, describe as best as you can. In terms of pricing if the tools are In Good shape and the models are currently available price at 60% of current retail.

See how it goes, Renew the add a few times if you don’t get any decent offers try dropping the prices a bit.

Hi Carl.
    I'm sorry to hear you are getting rid of your big tools. But if you don't feel like woodworking, you don't. Nothing wrong with that.

There are a lot of selling strategies from folks here. If it were me, I'd look up their current selling price online and, assuming they are in good condition, ask half of the current selling price or just a little more. If your models aren't made any more, find ones that are close.

Best method? Maybe pay the $6 to become a contributor here and use our classifieds, advertizing as local pickup. Or if you feel comfortable, you could advertise on Craig's List.

If you feel up to it, clean them as best you can. Like selling a used car - you give a better impression.

Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

craigslist might also be helpful in valuing the tools if you’re not sure what a fair price may be for each item. Use the Nashville, Knoxville, and maybe even Louisville Craigslist to see what the asking prices are for these tools, or tools of similar quality. Keep in mind that the asking price may not be what the item will sell for, so this isn’t a perfect method for appraising values.
    Also, if you’re within an hour drive from a city go ahead and list your machines/tools on that craigslist. It’s a common and acceptable practice.
    Also, offer the tools for sale individually rather than a package deal. I see package deals fairly often and think it’s a mistake to sell that way.
    Last edited by Patrick Curry; 09-03-2018 at 5:25 PM.

I’ve sold rigid joiner and a hf dust collector on Craigslist and they sold in 1 day. I find woodworking equipment sells fast

Carl, Craigslist will probably work for you but if you haven't sold on CL before, you should be prepared for potential complications.

Sometimes people say they are on their way and then don't show up.
    Sometimes people will ask you to hold an item for them and then don't show up. Or ask you to hold an item until next week, meanwhile you get an offer for the machine right away for a higher price. Have a plan for that.
    Sometimes people will try to get you to lower your price. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Many people like to dicker back and forth as part of the game, but be prepared.

Some folks are wary of letting strangers into their shop. Consider putting the item out in the driveway and keeping your shop closed.

One good strategy is to be upfront and simple with people. Tell them this is the firm price, (Be realistic. My rule of thumb is 1/3 of cost of new, plus or minus for condition) and the first one with the cash gets to take it home. It sounds harsh but if someone is coming from an hour or two away, they don't want to find it gone, so they can figure that it might be already sold into whether to make the trip. On your side: you don't want to wait around for someone who doesn't show up.

It is also fair, if you have more than one person in line, to call them when the machine is sold so they don't make a wasted trip.

And be clear that you want cash only.

Agree with everyone suggesting Craigslist to sell your tools. I've sold a bunch of tools and other things on CL. I've never had anything not sell that was reasonably priced. My one advice is do not list your phone number or email. Let them contact you through the Craigslist reply button which will email their interest in your item.

Facebook Marketplace is quickly overtaking Craig's List in many areas...if you use FB, then by all means post there, too.

And for a mere $6 contribution, you can advertise the tools here in the Classifieds with a woodworker audience.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-05-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    For $6 you can list them for sale here where there are plenty of tool hungry woodworkers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries

Another Craigslist recommendation.

I have used Craigslist with pretty good success. I would suggest you include " first come first served, cash only". I agree you should not hold any tools for someone who says I'll be there in a few days, next week, over the weekend......
    Dennis

Thinking again, since you have several tools, you also could use CL to advertise a one or two day shop sale on their Garage Sale link. The plus is that you can do it all in one or two days, like a Friday/Saturday, and avoid the one-by one negotiations and no-shows. Lots of folks hit the weekend garage sales. The minus is that your market is only the people that can come those days.

And be prepared for replies to your craigslist ad along the lines of "hi I really want your jointer - $$$ - can you email me please" or some equally disjointed and jittery response.

The scammers will try to get you onto your own email as opposed to thru c'list.

I have bought and sold a lot of things on Craigslist. For a few years I was parting out old tractors that were in bad shape and selling the parts, and have been using Craigslist to sell hardwood lumber from our sawmill for 11 years. My rule of thumb for things like tools or parts is that I will agree to hold them for up to 24 hours to give someone time to come, and if someone else asks about them during that time I say "I have someone coming but I'll let you know if they don't show up or don't buy it". This also helps deal with the people who want to offer half of the asking price, I can say "I have someone else who's interested, so I won't sell it for less" and usually they'll buy it. I try to set a reasonable price and stick to it, it's easier for me than haggling down from a high price. If I am buying and I see something overpriced I don't contact the seller, and if I see a price I like I will generally pay it without asking if they'd take less, though I did offer $800 after looking it over for an older 3 point snowblower listed for $1000 and the seller agreed. I only use Craigslist email, I used to sell things in a swap paper and the phone calls at midnight were annoying.
    Zach