Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planer Table ideas / feedback

Adam I had a Delta planer (portable) when they first came out,like 20 some years ago. I built a table thru mine covered with arborite. Basically 3/4'' plywood with planer bolted on then two 2x4 s ripped to height and another layer of plywood thru the planer bed with the arborite on top. It almost completely eliminated my snipe issues.Currently I also own the same Dewalt that you have. I use it for jobsite work only, when I am finishing or doing renovations. It is far better than the Delta with the snipe issue because of the head lock. That Dewalt does not have bed rollers so if it snipes more than you can live with build the table thru it. I think mine was 48'',but 36'' would probably work just as well. Mike.

I had the dw734 for about a decade and didn’t use anything but the tables that came with it and had no snipe. Take the time to go through the adjustment process, IIRC I made some minor adjustments to my tables.

This is a case of overthinking/overplanning. Fix/align/adjust the stock planer tables first. I bet your outfeed table is too low. There are screws that adjust the height of the end of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I had the dw734 for about a decade and didn’t use anything but the tables that came with it and had no snipe. Take the time to go through the adjustment process, IIRC I made some minor adjustments to my tables.

This is a case of overthinking/overplanning. Fix/align/adjust the stock planer tables first. I bet your outfeed table is too low. There are screws that adjust the height of the end of the table.
    Thanks Matt. I’ll check the outfeed height. The manual says to adjust them so the tips are level with the bed (with no vertical play). I should be able to get it dialed in right. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Adam I had a Delta planer (portable) when they first came out,like 20 some years ago. I built a table thru mine covered with arborite. Basically 3/4'' plywood with planer bolted on then two 2x4 s ripped to height and another layer of plywood thru the planer bed with the arborite on top. It almost completely eliminated my snipe issues.Currently I also own the same Dewalt that you have. I use it for jobsite work only, when I am finishing or doing renovations. It is far better than the Delta with the snipe issue because of the head lock. That Dewalt does not have bed rollers so if it snipes more than you can live with build the table thru it. I think mine was 48'',but 36'' would probably work just as well. Mike.
    Thanks Mike! I’ve been avoiding the rear snipe by running a sacrificial piece at the end (currently).
    I’ll go back to check the height adjustment again and hopefully that will be it.
    Last edited by Adam Chin; 09-08-2018 at 1:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chin View Post
    Hi Robert,

I’ll need to check on that. Are these rollers that are the ones up on the planer
    that pull the wood thru, or down on the table?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Bed rollers are not the feed rollers.

The are in the bed under the planer head. Mine are adjustable don't know about yours. If not you could remove them.