Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second biggest

Second biggest

24" Yates American direct drive, 10hp 4 knife head.

Almost as big as my 30" American, but nothing is smoother than the old 30" Babbitt American.

I will try to line up my 16" and 24" next to my 30" make a nice Christmas card. 20180902_201433.jpg

I was expecting a story about something bigger than the planer that even with extra ballast had your fork lift trying to run on two wheels.

BTW that is a very nice 3 toe.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That’s pretty cool.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I was expecting a story about something bigger than the planer that even with extra ballast had your fork lift trying to run on two wheels.

BTW that is a very nice 3 toe.
    Just wait, I have to pick up a swedish 43" 2 head widebelt sander. Lol

Darcy, did Yates run a 6" head on the 24" like Porter or smaller? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Darcy, did Yates run a 6" head on the 24" like Porter or smaller? Dave
    It's a 4 1/4" head, 4 1/2" cutting circle.

Nice solid looking machine.

I had a couple of 24" German made ones a few years back W. Klein and sohne I had a 24" jointer, and a 24" combination machine, i remember when i went to get my jointer seeing a jointer that made mine look small, i am not sure how big it was but for sure 30" and it looked massive. Nothing nicer to work on than a huge, rock solid jointer.

I look forward to seeing all three of your machines side by side.

I keep looking at my 6" Jointer and your "second biggest" beast. Like a tabby cat lookin at a Bengal Tiger. Then I hear Crocodile Dundee say "That ain't a jointer. THIS is a Jointer!"

That's one heck of a sweet machine Darcy.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Nice solid looking machine.

I had a couple of 24" German made ones a few years back W. Klein and sohne I had a 24" jointer, and a 24" combination machine, i remember when i went to get my jointer seeing a jointer that made mine look small, i am not sure how big it was but for sure 30" and it looked massive. Nothing nicer to work on than a huge, rock solid jointer.

I look forward to seeing all three of your machines side by side.
    I have a 63cm Schwabedissen jointer that I need to put a different head in. That thing is a hunk of iron.

You'd almost want to put those puppies on a big wedge so the work would have gravity to assist moving it over the cutter.

Neat toys to say the least.

If I ever need a place to make an emergency landing, I know where to go.

Very cool machine jointers are my favorite woodworking machine. How does it cut ? Is it better at heavy surfacing on rough planks can it also do fine work like Oliver’s.
    Aj