Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easiest workbench for weakling

Thanks for all the information and help. I’m weighing (no pun intended) the pros and cons of the Moravian vs one of the Nicholson designs.

Ok..side view..
    bench.JPG
    And the rarely seen cleaned off top...
    tool well.jpg
    Been well used...

Do you have nearby Neanderbuddies to help?
    I find most Neanderpeople to be super friendly and helpful.

Personally, I really like my Blum workbench.
    While I've been lusting for a Roubo, that might never happen.
    The blum is stiff, doesn't rack, and has lots of workholding options.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Do you have nearby Neanderbuddies to help?
    I find most Neanderpeople to be super friendly and helpful.

Personally, I really like my Blum workbench.
    While I've been lusting for a Roubo, that might never happen.
    The blum is stiff, doesn't rack, and has lots of workholding options.
    I'm really curious how many people know fellow Neanders living nearby!

In my case, in southern Louisiana / Mississippi / Alabama, such people simply didn't exist -- or at least I never met them. Woodworkers of any type were rare, and the times I did meet one, they were invariably surprised and confused as to why I would use hand tools and marveled at how long it must take to do anything.

Though, I'm sure if I got to know a few of them, they'd be just as capable of helping assemble a bench as any fellow Neander would be

I’ve been hanging around these forums for a few years now and haven’t heard of anybody here. I’m in Lubbock btw - the Texas South Plains.

Blog Entries
    I'm really curious how many people know fellow Neanders living nearby!
    A few have visited my shop and one met me at a Lie-Nielsen Tool Event. One lives across the river and has been visited by my wife and me. He has also visited my shop.

A few others have met up at times according to posts here over the years.

Johnny Kleso, of www.rexmill.com used to have regular get togethers. Haven't seen many posts from him of late.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Tony, might be worth it to build a multi-plank top and make it in a way that the planks interlock to form a solid top. That would seemingly create a minimal compromise.

I weighed 130lbs when I worked in an automotive machine shop, there are many ways to avoid lifting heavy things and yet still have a heavy finished product. Individual strength almost didn’t matter with some builds, some engines are heavy enough that an individual just cannot realistically manage any of the castings, such as 12 cylinder Diesel engines. So we used hoists with straps, chain hoists, hydraulic lifts, levers, Johnson bars and so forth to disassemble and move the engines.

In my shop I do the same, preferring to use leverage or friends rather than lug around heavy things. Most of my client work is assembled in place if it’s heavy.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-05-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I’ve been hanging around these forums for a few years now and haven’t heard of anybody here. I’m in Lubbock btw - the Texas South Plains.
    Well heck, Stew Denton is just around the corner from you in Boerger.
    Last edited by David Myers; 09-06-2018 at 9:42 PM.

I have a disability that weakens my strength. That’s part of the reason I haven’t built myself a bench. I’ve collected a few plans, videos on building one over the years (benchcrafted split top Roubo, Moravian workbench, English woodworker).

I’m fed up with my situation now because it takes more energy to kludge workholding. So what is the easiest workbench to build in my situation?
    Tony, I have to ask you why you want to build a bench, considering your physical limitations? A good bench would have a sturdy and rock solid top, That means heavy. The legs should also be sturdy and that adds more weight.

When I was considering a workbench, I first looked at building but when I priced out the wood, I was shocked how much it would cost. I found the Hoffman Hammer All-Round on sale at Highland Woodworking and compared it to the cost of just the materials. It was about the same. Buying the workbench meant no clamping and truing up the top, something I was not geared up to do. I use that workbench every day and never regretted the purchase.

Just my two cents...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Just 2.5 hours away. Guess that’s mighty close by Texas standards

Only problem is that there isn’t a woodcraft or similar and I think (perhaps wrongly) that the shipping would be prohibitive. Plus I haven’t heard great things about “commercial benches” across the fora over the years.

Only problem is that there isn’t a woodcraft or similar and I think (perhaps wrongly) that the shipping would be prohibitive. Plus I haven’t heard great things about “commercial benches” across the fora over the years.
    It's been a few years since I bought my bench but I don't remember being hit with shipping costs. As for commercial benches, the only thing mine didn't have was drawers. But with a good bench, that can be fixed.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, looked up those and they are still available but the cost is $1,400 and shipping is on top of that. That’s about double what even maple would be for a Roubo from what I found last time I looked. Does look like a very workable bench though.

Tony at the speed my wife and I drive you better call it 3 hours. We used to visit Lubbock fairy often...grandkids....one of our two engineer son in laws was chosen as one of the three outstanding professors at Tech 3 or 4 years ago or so, but alas, they are all now at College Station....a lot farther away from us.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-07-2018 at 2:00 AM.

If you are ever here would love to meet you. Maybe take you out to lunch. Figure you go to Amarillo more to “go into town”.