Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easiest workbench for weakling

Easiest workbench for weakling

I have a disability that weakens my strength. That’s part of the reason I haven’t built myself a bench. I’ve collected a few plans, videos on building one over the years (benchcrafted split top Roubo, Moravian workbench, English woodworker).

I’m fed up with my situation now because it takes more energy to kludge workholding. So what is the easiest workbench to build in my situation?
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 09-02-2018 at 8:17 PM. Reason: Changed focus

Blog Entries
    As much as these guys will beat me up for saying so, I'd recommend the Harbor Freight work bench. It's basic, cheap, and readily available.

3. Home depot, and Rockler handle Sjoberg, and Grizzly has some OK benches. A lighter bench can be weighted with sandbags, or fastened to floor, or wall to stabilize.

Mike Siemsen built a Nicholson style workbench; his video, the Naked Woodworker, is available from Lost Art Press, along with plans. About the only difficult part is that at one point you may need to tip the bench over to glue some blocking boards to the underside. You may want to get some help with that, but Mike does show a way to do that using basic saw horses that he also builds. It worked really well for me, and the design is very forgiving. If you want to add a vise (I did), it's fairly easy to do that as well. Just my $0.02.

Blog Entries
    I am often faced with situations where buying makes more sense than building even though I may be capable of building. Many of us used (or should have used) help when it came time to flip a heavy top or position it on the base. This may be the case even if you buy. I guess I am just trying to ease your frustration if buying something makes more sense than building.

Grizzly just recently had a beech workbench top on sale. Subscribe to their email list and you get weekly specials. Sam's Club has an adjustable height, metal based work bench that would not really suit my needs but, may be a ready made solution that could be made to work. When you are faced with challenges (I have had a lifting restriction since Christmas; really frustrating) you have to think outside the box and accept that your choices are made outside optimal circumstances . . .

OK, I think I am just trying to comfort myself here but, you get the idea.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tony,

I would go the easy route for the bench top if I were in your situation. For me that would be to buy some premade butcher block counter top to use for the bench top. Ken has built several benches, so I hope he chimes in on what is the easiest type bench to build.

For me, I would add some thicker stock for both the front and back edges for dog holes, would drill them for 3/4" dogs and hold fasts, and use wonder dogs for the tail vise. You may have to trim the width of the butcher block top if you add the thicker edge stock so as not to end up with a bench that is too wide. For me I would go 3" by 3" for the back edge for hold fast holes, and if using the wonder dog for a tail vise would also go that same size for the front side to hold the dog holes.

One easy option to make the front and back edges thick, although the purists might turn up their noses at it, would be to just glue some 3" wide 2 by stock, of the matching hard wood, right on the bottom 3" wide edges of the front and back, but if you do that make sure you match the direction that the growth rings go so you won't have problems with seasonal expansion.

I would put on a good 7" standard woodworking vise on for a face vise, the 7" will weigh less, but you give up a little on holding power and how far it can be opened. Spend some time on Fleabay looking at different versions of that vise, and buy a good used one that is pretty heavy duty. A good one should be $100 or less I think. Look for one made by the good name brand makers. Look for one with quite a bit of cast iron, not folded flat steel, and one with larger diameter rather than smaller diameter rods and main screw.

Ken had stuff on his last Moravian build, he also had a comment on the wonder dogs and other holding options. He also had comments on the leg vise, he was very sold on it, and it had great holding power. You can buy a vintage bench screw on Fleabay for a reasonable price to save some significant dollars if you want to go the leg vise route.

Just my $0.02 worth. I think I would go the Moravian route with those option that I list above if in your situation.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Tony,

My workbench is the most important and most used tool in my shop. I can adapt to almost any off the shelf tool but the workbench has to suit me. I am saying that workbench design questions are similar to sharpening questions. Its a matter of taste involving way too many personal variables. So my advice is (1) build what you really want and can get within a reasonable time and at a reasonable expenditure (2) get help as needed. There may be a teenager next door who would like a few extra bucks. Why suffer any longer?

Having said that, before I made my main workbench I bought the Harbor Freight four drawer hardwood workbench (item #69054) and a portable steel vise from Rockler. I bought them so that I would not have to go through what you are going through now. It was very inexpensive (about $160 online now) and it worked fine for a while. (You may need that teenager next door to help assemble it.) I eventually had to put it on risers (I'm 6'1") and bolt it to the wall for stability. When I had time, I made a workbench to suit me. The top is laminated birch plywood and a solid core flush door. The base has 4 x 4 legs, 2x4 rails and M/T joinery. It has a steel face vise at the front and at the end instead of a built-in end vise. It took a weekend to make. I considered the thousand dollar beechwood beauties but they did not fit my height and reach, and I had many better ways to spend the money. It does everything I need.

I have written some notes on workholding fixtures that I would be happy to share if you like.

Best of luck,

Doug

I'm in the middle of a Moravian build. I got the materials from a neighbor's barn. They were some old boards from a local bridge that he got from another neighbor. I think they are old Doug Fir. The raw boards were severely weathered and were 12-14 inches wide and 3+" thick by 8-10 ' long. Hefting the boards around through the table saw and planner was a real workout. The top is a glue up about 4 1/2 " thick and 78" long by 16" wide. I have not yet tried to move it, but I know I'm going to need some help. I spent most of my free time over this past weekend chopping most of the mortises for the legs and I can really feel it in my arms this morning. This may not be the best option if you have strength issues.

Perhaps something like Paul Sellers builds?

The English/Nicholson style do seem to be on the easier end of things and the top is certainly lighter than a Roubo type.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    The English/Nicholson style do seem to be on the easier end of things and the top is certainly lighter than a Roubo type.
    I was thinking this too. You could actually make such a bench as light as you want. No need for a particularly thick top as the aprons give it structural strength and prevents racking. The design can also be quite simple.

Tony, Having some health issues myself I struggled with this issue. I've built and owned several benches from huge to small. The answer for me came as an Adjust a Bench about three years back. Standard 1 3/4" top. The ability to adjust is great. The weight of moving it up or down can be solved with simple levers. If it had a huge Roubo style top that could be problematic. I like Ken Hatches Moravian bench too. I currently have some 10/4 hard maple waiting in line to build one to replace my garage English style bench. Benches are like shoes to me many styles to choose from and they all work to some extent for someone somewhere. I'm happy with my AAB and the Moravian will be more for fun and to replace the well worn garage one, because I like to be outside, or close to it in good weather.
    Good luck on your build.
    Jim

Thanks Stew.

I’m in the wilds of Northern California and Oregon for the month and only have the iPad with me so I may not be able to post photos.

if you can make mortises the Moravian workbench can be made very light but solid. It is also an easy build. I’m in the process of building my third one. The first two were portable (the second build is setting in front of the RV as I type). The third build will have a heavy slab and will be better suited as a shop bench but will still be easy to take apart and move if needed.

Maybe photos later if I can figure out how to make the iPad work.

BTW, I moved the damn bench twice from one parking spot to another carrying it by hand each time. Long boring story mostly about the motor home “jacks” sinking into soft ground but whatever while a PITA to do it was doable by myself. You can’t say that about many benches that are functional without needing a lot of monkey motion to make ‘em stable.

A photo of last year’s build in front of the motor home. Now that I’ve figured out how to post photos from the iPad I’ll try to post one of this year’s build tomorrow.

8D329C31-CB6E-4145-91E8-EC2F7201CCF5.jpg

ken

Blog Entries
    Another vote here for the Nicholson bench. Having built a massive Roubo, let me tell you there were times where my young and able self was contemplating whether I should have just built a Nicholson bench.

Hmm....sunny, Sunday afternoon, a few years ago,,,
    SDC15827.jpg
    Dumpster diving, found an old waterbed frame....Use one side for the top...
    SDC15829.jpg
    Cut a pair of notches on each end. Another side from the frame was tipped down to make 4" wide legs...
    SDC15819.jpg
    Plane away the saw marks..
    SDC15832.jpg
    Notched to allow for a stretcher..
    SDC15838.jpg
    Install the legs and stretchers...
    SDC15841.jpg
    Couple of 2xs for the aprons. Ends were cut to fit the 1/2 lap. ( already using the bench, too) One apron ( front) is attached to the front of the bench, the other is part of a tool well
    SDC15843.jpg
    Added the "foot pads" to a scrap of 1 x6....attached this to the bottom of the feet.
    Plane the top flat, aprons and all. Grandson and I then slid this down the steps into the shop..on it's top. Flipped over..
    SDC15848.jpg
    Have since added a leg vise, and end vise, a Crochet. There is a line or two of dog holes. Have built an under bench storage chest with a shelf...( adds a bit of weight to the bottom of the bench)

Bench is still in use.....
    Hmm, part 2?