Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Veritas edge trimming plane

BTDT.

Those fancy $$$$ Mitresaws? Are usually the first item stolen....company I worked for quit sending them out on a job. Circular saws, worm drive saws, or a handsaw ( usually a "toolbox" one). Some even got fairly good with a sawzall...

If'n ya can't cut a line, ya can just be the Gopher....."Need a box of holes from the trailer, and a Metric Crescent Wrench"

Started out as a roofer when I was a teen. By the late 90s, I was doing stick-builts, foundations, laying hardwood floors, building decks....Most of the houses I helped build were over $300,000, and some were more. Have laid out foundations, for Houses, schools, and factories.....

needed a 100' tape measure once ( at least) to make sure a retaining wall was at right angles to the building ....30'...40' = 50' sort of thing.

Had a bank build, needed windows with a curve top framed....2 sticks of 1 x 6 were provided...I had to bend them to meet the curve needed......LOTS of kerf cuts.....boards were then installed kerf to kerf, and nailed off. Stop in New Breman, OH sometime, and check the north windows out......Bank is on the south end of town, along St Rt 66. Little brick building, can't miss it.

have also done "tilt up" walls.....You pour the floor of a building first. Then form up for walls....laying on the floor....when the layer of concrete, foam and concrete ( with lots of rebars, wire mess, and inserts) has cured long enough, a crane can lift one end, and stand the wall section up....then when it is in it's new home, it is bolted to the iron frame work. usually makes a well insulated wall, 12-16" thick....

As for the plane in question....IF you feel like you NEED such a plane...and intend to USE it..then get it...it's your shop, after all. I just haven't found a need for it, in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    To anyone who has one- what are your thoughts about it?

Thinking about getting one during this free shipping period. Seems like it would be useful.
    I have the L-N version and I use it whenever my edge jointing strays from 90 degrees. It beats taking out a square and checking all along the edge until I'm square again. I only have the right hand version but those times when the grain changes through the edge have made me want the left version too.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

That was one type of plane I thought I'd never have any need for. I was working on an 1850 house, including completely redoing the windows. The window stools had way too much of a buildup of many layers of paint, even next to the sash, so that was the last thing I got to when getting the windows to operate easily.

I was sure it had every variety of lead paint there has been, so didn't want to sand, and the positioning wasn't suitable for scraping. Yes, I did use supplied air.

Long story shortened, I decided to get an edge trimming plane because I didn't have any other plane that I wanted to plane paint with. I looked for old ones on ebay, but they were more expensive than the LN ones, so I ordered one of those.

The window stools had a gap under the outer edge over the tapered sills, so that type of plane might work. Normally, I have no use for A2 blades, but thought this might be a suitable use for one. It ended up doing just what I wanted it to, with a spacer fence added. We had to sharpen the blade two, or three times per window, but for my jobs, we do a lot more sharpening for such odd purposes anyway. The ends were pared with cheap chisels well sharpened.

A few years later, all those windows, as well as their new shutters, work better than they ever had.

That's the only job I've ever used it on. For those talking about being carpenters, I've been a pro for 45 years now.

I have the older bronze Veritas and use it often. I have no electric jointer and running my table saw in the evening bothers my neighbors. I keep my Veritas Edge-Trimming Plane scary sharp and set to take razor thin shaving. Besides, there's just something about using hand planes in the dead of night with a full autumn moon beaming through my shop window.

Quote Originally Posted by Talbert McMullin View Post
    I have the older bronze Veritas and use it often. I have no electric jointer and running my table saw in the evening bothers my neighbors. I keep my Veritas Edge-Trimming Plane scary sharp and set to take razor thin shaving. Besides, there's just something about using hand planes in the dead of night with a full autumn moon beaming through my shop window.
    Yes Talbert, hand planes can be intoxicating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Yes Talbert, hand planes can be intoxicating.
    Besides, sometimes it is easier to push a plane over a large plank than it is to push a large plank through a planer:

Keep Tryinjg.jpg

Especially when one doesn't have a planer.

It can keep you warm on a cold day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)