Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which press of these 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Not true. Although Acme is not required to collect the tax from you, you still owe it and are required to file a sales tax or use tax form.
    While true the average for states is less than 2% of use tax being reported and paid. Most people are aware of the use tax requirement but almost no one pays it, it is the entire reason states are beginning to chase the etailers and the genesis of South Dakota vs Wayfair. In the modern age you simply can't expect customers to report on the honor system especially when the burden is so onerous for the average family that makes hundreds of purchases a year online. The system was setup in a different time and even then people didn't file a use tax form for their kids Sea Monkeys or Xray glasses.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree that it is much more efficient for states to force retailers to collect the tax if and when the courts allow them to. With the migration of sales from brick and mortar to online we will likely get to that soon. Illinois includes a use tax line on its individual income tax form and suggests a percentage of income for filers who don't keep records of their online purchases. Amazon reached an agreement with Illinois recently to collect income tax on purchases by Illinois residents. With that in place, I no longer have many online purchases on which the tax is not collected.

Find a used PM or Delta from the 60’s and fix it up. No need to spend big money on a DP when there’s plenty of used ones to choose from. I have a Craftsman from the 50’s and it will do everything the ones you list do. I paid 150 for it.

Some used tools are just as good as the new ones and much cheaper. An exception would be a lathe where the modern variable speed ones are better than the old ones.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Bob what chuck / kind did you buy and were?
    https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/ro15ca3jtmok.html

I wanted a keyed chuck with 5/8" to 0" capacity. Proved difficult to find at the quality level I wanted, run out was a concern. Settled on the Rohm with 1/32" minimum. This will hold a #60 bit with room to spare so I am happy. Any hole I might want smaller than #60 I would use a pin vise anyway.

I cannot find the link to the place I bought the arbor, a JT3 to MT2. Do not remember why I did not reuse the arbor that came with the Nova Chuck.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I have a Craftsman from the 50’s and it will do everything the ones you list do.

You may not be familiar with all the Voyager does. Like the modern lathes, it brings new tricks to the table, whether or not one needs or is willing to pay for those capabilities is another question.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks. Me too. Got my Supermax 19-36 drum sander from them most recently.
    Ordered the Nova Voyager drill press from Acme Tools on Friday. Was delivered today. Assembled it and am very glad with my decision to upgrade. Impressed with the size of the base and the table on it. Much larger than my previous Delta.

Clint

Thanks for the info Bob
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

BTW I noticed they have a new feature (really cool to be able to update your drill press!??!) for tightening keyless chucks one handed.

Power Spindle Hold (for keyless chucks)
    A new feature which has been introduced is the “Powered Spindle Hold” function which powers and holds
    the spindle for 30 seconds, freeing up one hand to hold the drill bit and tighten the chuck.
    NOTE: This function applies 11% of the maximum motor power to the spindle when tightening
    To access the Powered Spindle Hold function, go to Menu > Advance Modes and select the Pwrd Spindle
    Hold function. To activate the hold, press the button while the following screen is displayed.

They also have come out with the Vulcan which is metal-centric with milling features and 3MT spindle and ER32 collet system. It runs $2500.