Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which press of these 3?

Which press of these 3?

I know there was a recent drill press thread but it was looking at different presses.

Im trying to pin down a replacement for a grizzly model that is going away tomorrow. Wanting something that is more geared around wood working with a more stable base, larger flat table, and less run out. Tired of having to always adjust my bit sizing to get a more accurate hole.

Anyway, I’m trying to decide between the new Powermatic PM2800B, the Delta 18-900L or the Nova Voyager. All 18” models. All with plus and minus.

The nova has lots of electronics which worry me about longevity. The Powermatic has the speed adjust setup that seems to give mixed reviews about vibration issues. The delta is the most basic design but I keep reading concerns about future parts.

So, is long term future parts on a drill press a major concern? Is worry about the nova electronics panel crazy? Is the Powermatic over hyped and not worth the extra cost?

i would like to be able to keep this press going the next 25 to 30 years so I want a reliable press with low run out. I also don’t want an old press that requires restore. so any help on the above 3 presses? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    i would like to be able to keep this press going the next 25 to 30 years so I want a reliable press with low run out. I also don’t want an old press that requires restore.
    I'd say your shot on the 25-30 years thing dependant on the amount of use. I'd be looking in the used industrial market if I wanted any tool that would hold reasonable tolerance for anything remotely close to 20 years. There are likely tons that wouldnt require restoration but none in your list will be in that class. The Nova may be the best of the lot but even that is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I'd say your shot on the 25-30 years thing dependant on the amount of use. I'd be looking in the used industrial market if I wanted any tool that would hold reasonable tolerance for anything remotely close to 20 years. There are likely tons that wouldnt require restoration but none in your list will be in that class. The Nova may be the best of the lot but even that is a stretch.
    Well, I realize it may not last that long but it’s the mindset I’m using as I’m replacing and upgrading some things in my shop. It’s a hobby. Unless I win the lottery, I have another 20 years or so at my real job. So, the equip will not see heavy use like a pro or even serious retired hobbiest. Regardless, I don’t want to have to replace anytime soon and I’m trying to purchase items this time around that help me avoid the upgrade bug as long as possible too.

The nova seems like it may be my best bet and it’s the middle of the three price wise with the rebate too but that electronic control panel worries me regarding longevity.

I think you know you can cut the green paint out for the long haul other than for very light use. The yellow paint has an implied perception of "the gold standard" but its only an implied standard and isnt. The Nova absolutely has the risk of techno failure. For the amount of hobby use a drill press will likely see, any heavy old school belted drill press (even a newer model) would do what any of us do daily for years. I probably use our drill press once a week in a full time shop. Runout is unfortunately a crap shoot in the low end market. You may get a keeper, you may get a lemon. You'll never know til its in your shop.

I wouldnt have a problem risking the electronics but if I really wanted robust, strong, longevity, I'd be looking in the used industrial market and may well land on something cheaper than any of the three than doesnt need anything other than a bit of time with a rag and some degreaser, and will run for 150 years in hobby use.

Blog Entries
    To answer your question among the three you list, I think any of them would serve you well. The PM 2800B is said to have addressed the disappointing problems with the 2800. The Nova has a lot of cool features (which you don't have to use) and is coming from a company that has been offering variable speed woodworking machines since 2001. The Delta is the most basic machine. It has a very cool table with features similar to my Delta; forward and backward tilt as well as the standard side-to-side, flat outer edge for easier clamping. I added an aftermarket table to mine but, you wouldn't have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One thing that is rarely mentioned is the Voyager is the only one with a split head design, which is exceedingly rare these days. The mechanical and electrical side of the Nova looks excellent for the long haul (compared with new presses up to 2k) but the question is the longevity of the electronics. The only thing one can do is look at the history of the control electronics in their lathes, which seems to be remarkably good. The motors are simple and the press has fewer moving parts. If I were t buy a new pres today it would be the Voyager but I am not really that worried about a DP lasting me 20 years, whether it breaks or not it is likely I will have 2-3 more in that time frame because I tend to move machines in and out.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    One thing that is rarely mentioned is the Voyager is the only one with a split head design, which is exceedingly rare these days. The mechanical and electrical side of the Nova looks excellent for the long haul (compared with new presses up to 2k) but the question is the longevity of the electronics. The only thing one can do is look at the history of the control electronics in their lathes, which seems to be remarkably good. The motors are simple and the press has fewer moving parts. If I were t buy a new pres today it would be the Voyager but I am not really that worried about a DP lasting me 20 years, whether it breaks or not it is likely I will have 2-3 more in that time frame because I tend to move machines in and out.

Thanks. It looks like a really nice press provided the key pad on front holds up. I’m leaning that way.

Thanks. It looks like a really nice press provided the key pad on front holds up. I’m leaning that way.
    Those membrane switch pads all come down to quality. I have seen them die early and also work until the metal or poly dome wore completely through from constant use. The haptic feedback is useful in a loud environment like a shop often is. They have also been using these on lathes for years and I have not seen any reports of failure and one would expect they are using the same OEM for the membrane switches.

There is no question that each of these DPs have their own special risks for long term viability.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    $200 rebate through Rockler till the end of September . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Of those you mention...all good tools...I'd take the Nova in a heartbeat if my budget allowed it. The variable speed and capacities are awesome and they have long-term prior experience with the same technology with their lathes. It's not a purely new effort for them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    $200 rebate through Rockler till the end of September . . .
    Acme has the rebate, too, so it's probably available through other dealers as well.

I have had my Nova for over a year now and extremely happy with it. The split head design is great and no quill slop. The 6" stroke is very handy.

Before, I never used to change speed because it was a pain with the belts. Now, I change speeds every time I change bits because it is so easy.

Expensive..yes but well worth it.

Larry, several of the reviews I've read mention that you can't use bits 1/8" or smaller in the Voyager. True?

One upgrade I like on any drill press is a keyless chuck. More important convenience wise than not having to switch belts for speed. You can pick one up used from the machinists section on CL.

This gives a very wide range of bit sizes (and no key required!)

Something like this as example:

https://www.amazon.com/Albrecht-7009.../dp/B003V89X1U

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Larry, several of the reviews I've read mention that you can't use bits 1/8" or smaller in the Voyager. True?
    Yes it is true. I just bought a small chuck for my Nova Voyager that I put in the lager chuck when I need tiny bits. Generally I never need the full 6" stroke with tiny bits.
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/acce...t-chuck/dw0521

The other alternative is to just replace the standard chuck with one that allows smaller bits. I've read several posts on various forums where folks have done that for various reasons. Me, I didn't see it as necessary when a $30 second chuck will do.

I love my Nova Voyager!