Thread: Yankee Drill

Blog Entries

Yankee Drill

It's a dreary overcast day in Galveston County, Texas. I was in my garage shop and ran across my Yankee 41Y
    push drill. I was able to buy complete set of new unused bits. I have not used it recently, but since it turned up
    I'm sure I will. Now if I can find my egg beater drill, all will be well. Harvey displaced many of my tools.

I love push drills. I got a copy of the Stanley push drill from Garret Wade. It works well but there is some wiggle in the bit with side pressure. I snapped my finest drill bit.

Have a pair of North Brothers Yankee No. 41s

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I got a copy of the Stanley push drill from Garret Wade. It works well but there is some wiggle in the bit with side pressure. I snapped my finest drill bit.
    I have that one too, and also broke my finest drill bit!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have it too, purchased probably 40 years ago. My first cordless drill. Carried it in my carpenters apron up on the staging when I was doing exterior house trim to prevent splitting on the ends of boards with the 8d com nails we used.
    That was many moons ago. Rarely use it anymore as I have 6-7 Makita cordless drills to choose from.
    But it’s still right there front and center in a side pocket in my tool bag. Seeing it reminds me of my roots and that’s a good thing.

Nothing beats a push drill for installing household hardware - blinds, shades, and the like.

Blog Entries
    During my days as a telephone installer my Yankee push drill was used on most jobs.

Now there are a few different versions sitting in a drawer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I also have a couple by Millers Falls....No. 100, and No. 188. They use a slightly different type of bit, though.

I do have to stop buying those Yankee Screwdrivers, though.....last count was 10......but that was a while ago....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I also have a couple by Millers Falls....No. 100, and No. 188. They use a slightly different type of bit, though.

I do have to stop buying those Yankee Screwdrivers, though.....last count was 10......but that was a while ago....
    Just ten???

Been a while since I took "Head Count"....