Thread: Sturdiest ball bearing drawer slides

Sturdiest ball bearing drawer slides

I’m building a spice rack pull out and I need to extend it about 15 inches from the back of the 10” cabinet. I am going to try and set up two sets of full extension slides to get this extension, probably 18” (10 and 8). Having limited experience in ball bearing slides, what are the most sturdy (side to side wobble) slides available in these short sizes?

thanks, Dan

I don’t think your idea will work, the longer slides will be deeper / longer than your cabinet is deep , so they won’t fit in the cabinet.

You’d need to use long slides and IF possible cut holes thru the GWB to let the slides poke into the stud bays to gain the addition 6” that there MIGHT be in a 2x6 framed wall , 5 1/2” stud + 1/2” GWB = 6”

BUT this means you’d need to miss the actual stud in the wall , OR cut out the stud before hand to create a alcove for the slides or deeper cabinet to nest into.

Similar to this washer dryer alcove:

693A793A-27D1-4FF4-B50F-0FBF322E731F.jpg

Basically you need a cabinet a 1/2 deeper than the longest drawer slide you intend to use.

I like KV slides for side mount applications , if that more directly answers your question.

But without some major hoop jumps I don’t believe your idea will work.

I’d love to be proven wrong so you can achieve your desired result.

Blog Entries
    If you have space you could mount two sets of 8" KV full extension drawer slides back to back, which should give you 16" of extension. You would need 1" of space on each side of the rack to do this. Unless your spices are excessively heavy 100 pound rated sides should work just fine.

Or Condor offers drawer slides with 150% over travel. I've never used them and they may not have a 10" slide.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-02-2018 at 1:15 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you have space you could mount two sets of 8" KV full extension drawer slides back to back, which should give you 16" of extension. You would need 1" of space on each side of the rack to do this. Unless your spices are excessively heavy 100 pound rated sides should work just fine.

How would you attach the two slides together??
    It’s a good idea, in theory, maybe screw each one to a 1/2” ply carrier piece? So add that 1/2” to the width so you’d give up 1 1/2” on each side. And I’m pretty sure all this stacking would exerzerbate the wobble inherent with drawer slides.

One set of slides on a shelf and a second set of undercount slides on top of the shelf to the spice rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    One set of slides on a shelf and a second set of undercount slides on top of the shelf to the spice rack.
    This is kind of my plan, except I was going to use two set of side mount slides; one outside the "shelf" and one inside. If I have to, Ill put one on top of the other. Not sure which plan will work better, but I know I need the tightest slides available. I've only used base level BB side mounts and Blum undermounts in other cabinets. I'm going to duplicate it at the top, or at least put two on horizontally.

Anyone familiar with a brand that is really tight?

Thanks, Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    How would you attach the two slides together??
    It’s a good idea, in theory, maybe screw each one to a 1/2” ply carrier piece? So add that 1/2” to the width so you’d give up 1 1/2” on each side. And I’m pretty sure all this stacking would exerzerbate the wobble inherent with drawer slides.
    I would use pan head machine screws and nuts through the mounting holes and mount them slide to slide.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    They make slides just for this. Why not just go that way?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The load at double full extension is drastically higher, so make sure to calculate the load at the final resting point and use slides with a high enough rating. I have not done this before, but I imagine you will require support on both axis. Instead of trying to explain it, it was quicker to draw it up, so here is a screen cap using 16 slides.
    Slidezz.JPG
    Last edited by Randy Viellenave; 09-02-2018 at 4:55 PM.

I would clamp the two slides together so they lined up and plug weld them together with TIG. If you use bolts, be sure to lock tite them the last time you assemble them. If you can find a Z-bracket you may be able to stack them after a fashion like some of the overtravel slides are constructed. The note about the weight rating being about half doing what you are doing is very much true.

Not sure what you have in mind for a design but my initial thought would be to embed the slides into a thick enough base of the pull out shelf.

Bore a hole in the wall where the slides go and extend the slides in the wall. Mount the drawer to the front part of the slide. Have done this in a similar situation and it worked just fine.

Welded slides together for a TV once, results were "Meh".