Thread: A (Kind of) Japanese Planing Board / Low Bench

A (Kind of) Japanese Planing Board / Low Bench

I made an almost Japanese planing board / low bench. A very small one with a few added conveniences found on Western benches -- namely, a vice, and dog holes.

bench.jpg

The bench itself is only about 8 inches wide and about 2-3 feet long (extensible via the vise), with two adjustable planing stops at the end, dog holes, and a home-made vise.

The vise is just made from a 10mm steel bolt which is tapped directly into the wood using a 10mm tap. Given the small size of the vise and the competing position of the dog holes, I opted for only one "supporting rail" in addition to the screw. This gives me more jaw space to camp things vertically. Given that the vise is just a standard 10mm bolt, it is slow to operate, but infinitely better than not having a vise, and meets my requirements of something light weight and low profile.

tailvise.jpg

A picture of the underside, showing the vise:

underside.jpg

I didn't focus much on being super neat or cutting fancy joinery, mainly because I just don't feel that I needed to do so and want to get on to working on the "real" projects that I want to start. Everything is just attached with glue and hidden pegs. I feel somewhat better after having met a an actual Japanese joiner who also just glued his feet on his planing board and didn't bother with sliding dovetails

I might clean it up a bit and add little feet that will allow it to clamp to a table or something, but for now I do all of my work sitting down anyway.

The niche for this tiny bench is to fit my rather odd working conditions: I live in a tokyo apartment, so I can't do large projects, and I can't do a lot of work in my apartment itself as I'm not on the ground foor and any noise tends to carry down stairs. So, I need a small, light bench that I can carry to my rooftop or to a park somewhere and work. As I'm only doing small projects, this is doable.

Lastly, here it is with all of the tools that I used to make it (which is nearly all of the tools that I currently own here in Japan!):

tools.jpg

Very nice Luke.

Sometimes being limited in ways that you are, can actually be a good thing I find (I am in a similar situation).

It forces you to work on certain projects sure, but you can really focus at getting good at them... you have less options, and therefore are less tempted to keep trying new things.

Keep us posted with how it is working for you, and best of luck with your projects.

Ps. interesting use of dog holes here from Inomoto-san, using them as a ‘foot clamp’:
    20071026_054843.JPG

> Dom Campbell

That's very true! Limitations tend to help focus one's efforts and inspire creative solutions.

A lot of woodworkers only show how to do things the "professional" way with a huge workshop full of specialized tools, and don't really appreciate minimalism. So, I'm always glad to hear from someone in the same boat as myself and hear about how they work

P.S. I'm trying to figure out what you're referring to as a 'foot clamp' in that picture. There appears to be a darkwood piece that swivels in a dog hole, but I don't understand how it clamps a piece.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 09-03-2018 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Edit: Yikes! Wrote my reply in a terminal web browser and all of the new lines were ignored.

Its part of the reason I use more japanese methods and tools than western... they just work much better in a limited situation with no vicea etc.

For the foot clamp... sorry it was a crap photo. Try this one:
    20071028_105053.JPG

More here for inspiration... although despite small work, seeing Inomoto use that sledge hammer to chop mortises doesn't quite fit into the 'quiet/inconspicuous' category.

http://www.daikudojo.org/Archive/200...g_seminar.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Campbell View Post
    Its part of the reason I use more japanese methods and tools than western... they just work much better in a limited situation with no vicea etc.

For the foot clamp... sorry it was a crap photo. Try this one:
    20071028_105053.JPG

More here for inspiration... although despite small work, seeing Inomoto use that sledge hammer to chop mortises doesn't quite fit into the 'quiet/inconspicuous' category.

http://www.daikudojo.org/Archive/200...g_seminar.html
    Ahh, I see now! So simple! Definitely going to try this

Awesome link, by the way! Information on Japanese woodworking methods are few and far between, so such information is really useful.

Always been interested in Japanese Woodworking techniques.
    Wish I could set on the floor like that to work.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Always been interested in Japanese Woodworking techniques.
    Wish I could set on the floor like that to work.
    Give it a try; you might be surprised! I actually have come to prefer working on the floor: I don't get a sore back from bending over all the time like I do with a bench, I don't need to worry about bench clutter, I can take my little planing board/bench with me and work anywhere, and I find that for some strange reason I can cut perfectly straight and square while on the ground, but not so much on a bench or saw horse (maybe I'm just used to the mechanics of sawing while near the floor, but it just seems far easier somehow). Get a nice cushion to sit on and you might find it very comfortable indeed.

I think the hurdle for most westerners about sitting / working on the floor is more mental than anything.

And old knees. Uncle Arthur has a way with them. I CAN sit on the floor......getting back up is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And old knees. Uncle Arthur has a way with them. I CAN sit on the floor......getting back up is the problem.
    I resemble that remark.

Very nice bench, Luke!

I've been thinking a lot along the same lines as you.
    With much business, not much time to do "ideal"...just nicer to have a handful of tools to make do.

Btw, Stan Covington is in Tokyo too.
    Hope you weather the typhoon safely.