Thread: Knew Concepts fret saws

Knew Concepts fret saws

I thought this would be easy. All I wanted was a quality fret saw to cut dovetail and box joint waste. Knew Concepts would provide the product. Then I found out there are many variables. Titanium vs. aluminum--- screw tension vs. lever tension---fixed blade vs. angle blade--- 3",5" or 8"depth. Now what to do? Please advise me all I need is the economy $60.00 model rather than the $200.00 version.

Aluminum will be fine so there’s some money saved. I would spend the extra money on lever tension and angle blade. From personal experience, they make life easier. As far as the depth of cut, that depends on the scale of your work. What size dovetails and boxes are you making? I think the smallest will do most of what you want unless you’re making Papal coffins. (I think that’s the size I have but I’ll have to double check). Of course the coping saw is available too.

ETA: double checked and mine is the three inch model. Derek Cohen has info on these saws on his inthewoodshop.com. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/KnewConceptsFretsaw.html
    IIRC, reading his article led me to the size I got
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 09-01-2018 at 9:02 PM. Reason: Added information

I wouldn't get too carried away. I bought a 5" mark 4 about 6 mos ago and it does everything I need for dovetail work. It cost me about $110. The mark 4 is rock solid and the swivel feature allows you to choose an angle thatt works best for you. This was definitely a crazy expensive fretsaw, but it has been worth every dime.

And yes, you can make due with a lesser model if your budget is tight.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My 5" Knew Concepts with swivel to 45º changed my use habits with fret saws. My only regret is the full swivel was not on the market at the time. Maybe one day my wallet will open for one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I thought this would be easy. All I wanted was a quality fret saw to cut dovetail and box joint waste. Knew Concepts would provide the product. Then I found out there are many variables. Titanium vs. aluminum--- screw tension vs. lever tension---fixed blade vs. angle blade--- 3",5" or 8"depth. Now what to do? Please advise me all I need is the economy $60.00 model rather than the $200.00 version.
    Hi James

Get the 3" aluminium (red) model. Lever tension. Hey ... it's the cheapest!

I worked with Lee Marshall to develop the original woodworker version. He sent me these photos when we were discussing depth of cut at 45 degrees ...

3" saw:

5" saw:

So, yes, the 5" model has a greater depth of cut, but the 3" is more than enough at 2". The 3" saw will be stiffer than the 5", plus lighter, so it is the one to aim for for sawing out dovetail waste.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks everyone for replying. I think I will follow Derek's suggestion. The 3" saw should be just what I am looking for.

Blog Entries
    My Knew Concepts saw is red.