Thread: hollowing system

hollowing system

is any one using the don derry system for small to medium hollowing

I have a friend who has one of those. I tried it when I was looking for a hollowing tool, but I didn't really like it. It's possible I just didn't understand how to use it correctly. I mostly use a captured hollowing tool, similar to the one Lyle Jamieson sell. For very small pieces I sometimes use an armrest hollowing tool, similar to those that D-Way Tools sells.

Hey Joe - go ahead and ask your question. I don't own one, but I am sure you will get some feedback. This is what the Derry hollower looks like.
    Derry Hollowing Rig.JPG

I have 2. I like them. They are only good for "small" forms. It has the best laser setup I have used. Rock solid laser. I also have bigger hollowers, so the derry hollower is my go to hollower for small forms. I have the ornament hollower too. Excellent for those micro forms. If you want bigger than 4" deep or so look elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

I use the Ted Reischl Hollowing System.

Cost me about $30 in parts grand total. I also use the Ted Reischl Special Carbide Custom Tools. Those cost me about $10 a piece not including the scrap wood used for the handles.

Of course, Ted Reischl is cheap, cheap, CHEAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    I use the Ted Reischl Hollowing System.
    Can you share photos of this economical hollowing gizmo?

JKJ

You bet John! I posted it here back in March I believe:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2796162

Since then I added an adjustable overarm to hold the laser pointer. I bought two pointers from China and they seem to work very well.

Recently I added a mini mill to my shop so I am going to machine new connector thingies for the laser arm.

I use my el cheapo quite a bit and it does a nice job. I don't do real deep hollowing, I think the max I have gone is about 10 inches? Don't quote me on that though!

I remember that! I have a mill and lathe and a bunch of stock, steel, aluminum, rod, plate, blocks (we also have a great recycling/scrap yard with great finds at cheap prices and they even sort out everything so it's like going to the store). This looks like a great winter day project so I'm going to save your link this time. I've never used a hollowing system but I'd like to try one.

I'm curious about the cutter. Is the toolbar a solid rod with the dished carbide cutter, sort of like a Hunter tool?
    If so, is it cutting in the bevel-rubbing mode or as a scraper? How is the finish? I have the Vermec sphere jig with a dished carbide cutter and the finish is excellent.

Are you cutting in reverse on the right inside? (or maybe that's just for the photo.)
    I searched for Sorby Sovereign tool bar but only found handles and sets. If the cutter you use is similar to the Hunter I have those.

JKJ

You bet John! I posted it here back in March I believe:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2796162

Since then I added an adjustable overarm to hold the laser pointer. I bought two pointers from China and they seem to work very well.

Recently I added a mini mill to my shop so I am going to machine new connector thingies for the laser arm.

I use my el cheapo quite a bit and it does a nice job. I don't do real deep hollowing, I think the max I have gone is about 10 inches? Don't quote me on that though!

Hello John, the cutter in the photo is the bar from the Sorby. It has interchangeable heads/tips. However, I also made up some of my own using round stock. Nothing magic there. All of the cutters are flats, no hollows or dishing. Just typical carbide scrapers. No, I was not running in reverse, that is just where the tool happened to be when I snapped the pic.

However, now that I can mill steel I am going to try using a few different lathe type inserts once I get a bar or two made. I tell ya, that mini mill is unbelievably handy! Should have bought one a long time ago.

However, now that I can mill steel I am going to try using a few different lathe type inserts once I get a bar or two made. I tell ya, that mini mill is unbelievably handy! Should have bought one a long time ago.
    You are on a slippery slope. The mill, a lathe, then a TIG welder, plasma cutter, horizontal bandsaw, hydraulic press, oxy-acet torch, tapping machine, more grinders, files, more storage for stock, a wing on the shop... there is no end. Give it up now. Take up basket weaving.

It is SO nice to be able to fix or make almost anything you can think of! One day I needed, er, wanted a small hand saw that takes scroll saw blades. Grabbed some rod from the stock and little time with a torch, drill, mill, welder, and tap (and the wood lathe) gave me this:

saw.jpg

A branding iron for a friend with the ranch brand? (bronze slug from the scrapyard) Good clean fun!

brand_composite_1.jpg brand_composite_3.jpg brand_composite_4.jpg

JKJ

All very nice work John. However, fear not for I cannot slide down the slippery slope. My shop is 14 X 28, it will not grow any bigger at this stage in my life. But, that said, a welder may be in the future, just an itty bitty one for doing repair type work and small things. I have space for that underneath one of my counters. I have 3 X 4 cnc router lurking in the corner that gets used a lot.

If it weren't for the limited swing on the mini lathes I would be looking at one of them to replace the Delta 1460 so that I could cut screws when needed.

This afternoon I made up a pair of quick change soft jaws for the milling vise. Some scrap aluminum and an idea. What I did was put a "keyhole" type of slot in each jaw so that all it takes is a quarter turn and I can slide them out.

I spent a good part of my career in and around machine shops so I know the limitations which is very helpful. I find myself striving for high precision when it is not necessary. But it helps when I do need to do something fairly accurate.

... a welder may be in the future, just an itty bitty one for doing repair type work and small things.
    The first welder I got was a Lincoln Weld Pack 100 from a big box store. Uses flux core wire so no gas tank and regulator are needed, otherwise works just like MIG but sloppier with more spatter. I used it for a LOT of projects and repairs and still have it - about the only tool I'll ever loan to friends. (I don't know where Leland NC is but if it's not too far from Knoxville you are welcome to borrow it to try.) That, some gloves, and a cheap auto-darkening helmet and you can do almost everything (plus some angle grinders, wire brushes, a way to cut steel, etc.!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    .... (I don't know where Leland NC is but if it's not too far from Knoxville you are welcome to borrow it to try.) That, some gloves, and a cheap auto-darkening helmet and you can do almost everything (plus some angle grinders, wire brushes, a way to cut steel, etc.!

JKJ
    Leland NC is about 400 miles more or less east of Knoxville, think of it as a suburb of Wilmington. . . if such a thing is possible. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

If I quit being a wood packrat I would have more room for smaller bench size tools. But it sure is nice not having to go buy materials all the time when I am doing something little.

But it sure is nice not having to go buy materials all the time when I am doing something little.
    Some years ago an architect friend at my church told me of his friend who owns a large machine shop who was selling off his excess steel stock at scrap prices. New angle iron, square and round tubing, square stock, round rod, channel, i-beams... I went immediately and bought a truckload and put it in a shed near the barn. (His accounting guy was not at all happy with the deal!) 8000 lbs of steel just waiting for projects in the shop and repairs around the farm! Wish I had had room for more. Farmer friends here know where to come if they need a piece of steel on Saturday night! Especially if they need it cut, drilled, welded...

JKJ