Thread: Couple gets LT-15 to build home

Blog Entries

Couple gets LT-15 to build home

Please excuse me if this has been posted before: I do not have a sawmill, nor any horses in this race, but I found it very interesting to follow Jesse and Alysia as they learned how to use a WoodMiser LT-15 to mill truck loads of Douglas fir logs for their timber framed home. From Large 28 foot long timbers to flooring. They started with an Alaskan mill, but soon realized it was too limiting and labor intensive. This is the first installment of the LT-15 series. It was never clear if WoodMiser supplied the mill in exchange for exposure to their 375,000 YouTube subscribers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fenW...ccDPgpu-4EXokW
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks, I haven't seen that.

I've had an LT-15 for almost 15 years and get a lot of use from it, especially for construction around the farm.

JKJ

It is a good series. I've watched a few of the episodes. The one where they're framing knee walls and installing subfloor in the rain was kind of "comical", but they got it done. Did they look miserable though.
    They get to some points, in some of the episodes, where they're "in over their head", and along comes "dad". It's nice.

Another fun video series is watching April Wilkerson build a chicken coop. Like, the Taj Mahal of chicken coops.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Another fun video series is watching April Wilkerson build a chicken coop. Like, the Taj Mahal of chicken coops.
    Yes, I liked the ones where she builds her HUGE shop.

I am a subscriber to the Pure Living for Life channel and have seen all 415 videos. Beats a lot of junk on the networks. My wife kids me about watching hours of just sawmilling...
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-03-2018 at 8:22 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My wife kids me about watching hours of just sawmilling...
    Tell her it's a reality show about carpentry.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the link.

Few years ago I was wanting a sawmill like most woodworkers.
    One day I got a chance to help a friend who hired a guy with a fully loaded Woodmiser. It was about as automated as one could get.
    I was so tired by the end of day. Last time I ever thought about buying a mill.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One day I got a chance to help a friend who hired a guy with a fully loaded Woodmiser. It was about as automated as one could get.
    I got a chuckle from that!

My Woodmizer is entirely manual (loading logs, tighening clamps, shimming as needed, muscle power for each cut, muscle power to return, each turn by hand with cant hook, offloading and stacking each board).
    Most of the time I'm doing it all by myself with no help.

By the end of the day I feel like I've gotten a good workout. And I don't have to drive to the gym!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Few years ago I was wanting a sawmill like most woodworkers.
    LOL! Welcome to my world!

Off-bearing from a high volume mill will definitely keep you in shape.

A neighbor and his 2 sons brought a bunch of logs to my place last spring. All I had to do was push the mill back and forth cutting the lumber. They ran my skidsteer loading the logs, turned the logs, took all the lumber off the mill and loaded in a truck, and stacked the cutoffs in a pile. Easiest day of milling I ever had.

10. I am pondering buying a mill myself. I can only wish I lived near a pine/douglas fir forest like the folks in that video. I have a few hundred acres of live oak, post oak and a bit of mesquite. I am into about 2 years into building a debt house out of steel and store bought pine lumber. It's just me and my wife but we are getting there. I fell a few oak trees last year and had them milled by a local sawyer and it looks lie it's going to make some nice cabinets and what not. In the beginning I shot video and took pictures of our work but found its just to time consuming to do so. I don't know how people do the stuff and document it on youtube like they do.