Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoil Board Question

When I do a job I always cut deep then the material by about .005 I hat to have to trim anything and a spoil board is cheap even if you use trupan cheaper then my time

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I do a job I always cut deep then the material by about .005 I hat to have to trim anything and a spoil board is cheap even if you use trupan cheaper then my time
    The last little job I did, I flipped it over and attached a piece of 1/4 Masonite to it with some short screws out of the cut path. Then used the clamps and T Track.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-03-2018 at 3:29 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Well I mostly have the spoil board attached and a learning experience on drilling. I though I had the holes at least the few I measured down good enough to be able to drill 20 or so blind M6 holes using the machine. Not. Turns out the drill pattern was just a little off, and a 1/8 inch is a big deal when its really not in a pattern. What I should of done was drilled the premade and tapped holes all the way through the rectangular steel tube cross brace / supports and used decking or cabinet hanging screws from underneath. I do tend to make things stronger that perhaps they needed to be.

Tomorrow, I am going to do the facing and then install the tracks.

Got the surfacing done today, what a mess that MDF dust is all over!! Yes I do have a dust collection system of sorts but this stuff is in piles. Tomorrow a laser job and then installing the T Track.

Yeah, it can be really messy. The first time I surfaced a machine, I didn't use a dust collector and everything in my shop was covered in dust. It will really let you know how effective your dust collection is. Mine was a small machine and the dust collection was a shop vac...not very good.

I resurfaced mine the other day and despite really good dust collection, enough escaped to create a mess. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally got started on the T Tracks today but also wanted to try out a new Simple Screen set (modified) for my Mach3. The OEM screen is so cluttered and hard to read, especially on my Laptop. I did one track and measured for the rest and decided it was too hot. Time to take the Dog (Gina the Border Collie) to the lake.

IMG_3137.JPGIMG_3138.JPG

Consider using 3/4" thick PVC sheet for your spoilboard. MDF is nasty stuff.

According to MSC that PVC sheet is nearly $700. The 5x8 MDF was $65.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    According to MSC that PVC sheet is nearly $700. The 5x8 MDF was $65.
    Home Depot has the 1/2" version for about $76. 3/4" will be a little more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Home Depot has the 1/2" version for about $76. 3/4" will be a little more.
    Not at my Home Depot, they have trim boards but no sheets. Not even on special order.

my lumber yard carries 3/4 PVC you may want to check a real lumber yard not a DIY center. I use 25mm PVC for my base on my table. I have a vac hold down so I made a 4 zone vac plenum and used 6 mm strips to seperate the zones that way the vac doesn't bleed to unused zones
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 09-17-2018 at 10:57 AM.

It took me 3 weeks just to get a 5x8 sheet of MDF shipped in to one of the only two real lumber yards in this area of 250,000 pop. I envy you folks who have access to all these goodies. Its "Special" order here and I had to nearly beg for them to order and pay upfront. If it wasn't for this Forum I would be living in the dark ages. Thanks again guys!!

Updated Pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-17-2018 at 4:44 PM.

I purchase 3/4" PVC sheet from a local supplier at $120.00 per sheet. I have also been able to acquire lots of drops from another local company that I use for smaller projects like shelves, jigs and fixtures. I normally use Corian for custom vacuum pucks but I expect PVC would work.

We are in the same pricing here with regards to the construction grade PVC. 3/4" is around 120 a sheet for Royal or other. More for Azek, Versatex, etc..

I honestly dont know which would be worse in the shop, and for the planet. We dont have any issue at all with pickup running MDF often times daily. We do a lot of intricate cutouts in 1/4" MDF (195 pcs today in the 16x16 range) and the cleanup after unloading kinda sucks but even just a quick table sweep (which sucks to loose that time) gets 99% of whats left. We resurfaced the spoilboard at the end of the day today and there was zero dust but the cutter we are running creates quite a bit of its own turbulence under the shoe which helps.

Ive used a lot of PVC in my construction career between architectural trim, pipe, and so on. I see the value, but the stuff is horrific on the planet to manufacture, even more horrific to dispose of, and catastrophically horrific if it ever burns (house/shop fire/etc).

I find the dust from both PVC and MDF abhorrent but at least MDF is made from waste and while the adhesives suck, its nothing with regards to the disaster on the planet that PVC is.

I could easily see the value in investing in a phenolic plenum or something that is not sacrificial but to waste away PVC on a daily basis is not something I want to leave to my neighbors grandchildren (I dont have kids).

We occasionally surface our spoil board twice a day if we are doing a lot of small work that has to be clean both sides. When I run PVC I spray everything with static guard so the stuff doesnt stick to everything in a 20' radius. I couldnt imagine having to deal with those chips that often.

After that, we burn our chips if they are not something people want and having PVC mixed in the cyclone would mean I'd have to put it all in the dumpster and pay to have it packed off.