Thread: Spalted Birch

Spalted Birch

OK I turned some small bowls today out of some spalted birch this stuff was stored in a basement but is awfully wet inside, It is like turning green wood with some punky spots, It has a mildew smell will that go away when it dries ? can you seal it somehow ? it did make some neat little bowls I have some spalted maple and some birch that has no smell so ?
    If it looks good it is good !

I turn a lot of green wood and some really stink to say the least. It seems that all dry out with little smell and the Danish oil blend finish seals the surface to hide any smell. The oil blend even will seal cedar for the most part. I turned some camphor boxes and put oil on outside but left inside bare. There was no evident smell of outside of box but the camphor very present when lid removed. Sanding sealer will also seal most smell.

this stuff was in a basement for years in log form I tried vinegar today and sun seems better I just have a ton of blanks cut out don't want to waste time turning if it stinks forever. I use cutting board conditioner thanks for the idea of danish oil

I had some very wet birch that had been sitting for a couple years. It had a fermenting smell too it. I had to wipe it down with bleach to stop it from getting moldy. The bleach seamed to take care of the smell as well. I was worried that it would smell like bleach but that's gone as well.

thanks tried vinegar with some success tried to turn more but it just wants to come apart nt good ar rpms