Thread: Anyone have retractable shop vac hose from ceiling?

Anyone have retractable shop vac hose from ceiling?

Anyone have retractable shop vac hose from ceiling? I think I am going to do this for sanding. Ill put a dust extractor up there and use a 5m hose. I am considering using a flexzilla rerractable reel for the retraction part. Teather it to the air line. Will not need it to retract a lot. Thinking above out of way, pull down whats needed. Any thoughts or ideas?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a four inch hose coming down to my shark gaurd on tablesaw. I use it for a wide variety of things. The kids like to use it to clean shop.

Plymovent make some for vehicles but they might work for dust. Good starting point for your own version.

https://www.plymovent.com/en/vehicle...els-hose-drops

I've got a 2" flex hose on my sander that is retracted using a simple Bunjee. It allows me to move the sander about 3 or 4 feet in any direction but the hose (and power cord) retracts out of the way when the sander is directly under it. I have the advantage of open space between joists as a place for the hose to get retracted into.

For my sander, I use a small 1 gal shop vac I got at a garage sale. Easy to move around and I can leave the small diameter hose attached to it. Drop hose is a good idea.

Mike, we're looking for something similar. We're more looking for something in the 2"~2-1/2" range to use for cleaning the CNC, floor and tools, but are up in the air when idle. But, we do want something much better than dragging 50' combo of 4" and 2-1/2" hose everywhere and tripping over it. Our idea was to go overhead with a 2-1/2" hose supported by balancers running along Unistrut or hose reels, with several mounted in the shop to lessen the hose lengths. We looked for something at IWF last week and asked around the DC and hose suppliers but came up empty. We have enough DC (10hp Oneida) to avoid blast gates in the ceiling, but make sure you consider that. We use the Festool boom arm over our sanding table and there are many homemade versions on the FOG site if you want to consider that route.

I use a smaller 1 1/2" hose when using a hand held sander like my pad or ROS at my workbench and I bundle the power cord together with it using Velcro strips up to the ceiling. To hold the hose up off my bench I have a retractable clothesline reel attached to the ceiling. I pull the plastic end of this line down and attach it to the middle of the work loop of the vacuum hose/power cord with a Velcro strip. The spring tension of the clothesline can be adjusted by adding or removing a revolution or two to the internal reel of the clothesline, but I didn't need to do this. It was perfect without adjusting. In use, the constant tension of the clothesline keeps the vacuum hose and power cord loop suspended up off the bench so that I have full freedom of movement of the sander over the whole bench area. This is the one that I am using

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Secure-Li...&wl13=&veh=sem

These are the Velcro Ties that I use. Longer versions are available on Amazon if you need them for larger hoses.

https://www.amazon.com/Mmei-Multi-Pu...62799088&psc=1

Not exactly what you were looking for, but it works well fr me and wasn't a big investment.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 08-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Check out Bellevue Workshop on Youtube "Homemade Vacuum Hose Reel". He does exactly what you are proposing to do.

Biggest difference is i have 16' tall ceilings and want it self supporting/ retracting. Going to try my air hose line return idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Biggest difference is i have 16' tall ceilings and want it self supporting/ retracting. Going to try my air hose line return idea.
    Don't you have to tug on air line to get it to retract? If so, how are you going to do this with it 16' in the air?

How about trying a simple rope over pulleys with a counter weight appropriately sized by trial and error. Just a thought and something I may try soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Don't you have to tug on air line to get it to retract? If so, how are you going to do this with it 16' in the air?
    The air line will have a stop on it to prevent the end of the line from being retracted into the reel, you just move that stop (or add a new one) so the end of the line is say 7' above the floor so you can reach it.

It worked awesome btw

Blog Entries
    My son is building a new house with a central vac system. The 40' hose (1.5"?) retracts back into the 2" suction piping by releasing a tab at the hose outlet and putting your hand over the end of the hose whereupon it gets sucked into the straight and gently curved main line. Clever.
    NOW you tell me...