Thread: How To Clean Router Bits?

How To Clean Router Bits?

Just tried out my new Leigh bits and boy, what a difference from my older, but not old, dirty bits. I want to keep these clean and also, clean up the old ones, so what can I use? Will something as simple as denatured alcohol work? Mineral oil? Lacquer thinner?

Use the same thing you use on saw blades.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Derek

I use Boeshield Blade and Bit Cleaner. I think it is just a solution of a detergent in water, but small bottle is not that expensive.

Doug

Blog Entries
    A couple of squirts of L.A. Awesome. Remove bearings prior to cleaning and oil them once they are back on. It is often easier to simply brush the bits clean and oil them immediately after use. I have a nylon brush and bearing oil in a rack on the front of my router table for just this purpose. I go quite a while before I have to use a cleaning solution.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-31-2018 at 8:03 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Exclamation I use a nylon brush

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Just tried out my new Leigh bits and boy, what a difference from my older, but not old, dirty bits. I want to keep these clean and also, clean up the old ones, so what can I use? Will something as simple as denatured alcohol work? Mineral oil? Lacquer thinner?
    My default cleaner after to use a router bit is a simple dry nylon brush. It is good enough most time.

Eventually I can go for a deeper cleaning and as stated previously you can use the same process you use to clean up your saw blades.

All the best,

Sorry...L.A.?

I use CMT's blade cleaner.

Blog Entries
    Just be sure to remove any guide bearings before cleaning with any solvent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Simple Green, diluted 50/50 with water and an old toothbrush, use it for blades also.

HF ultra sonic cleaner is what one friend uses. It's made for cleaning jewelry, but does a great job on bits. Sharpening places use similar, only industrial sized to clean both blades and bits. Put them in, turn it on and go away. Come back when timer says it's done. Original Simple Green ISN"T recommended for use on carbide. It destroys the binder.

Correction, I should have said Simple Green Pro HD although I have used regular Simple Green for years with no ill effects. I typically soak for 1/2 hr or less. There was a thread about this on Sawmill Creek about 8 years ago. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ing-Saw-Blades

Another Simple Green user. Soak for about 20-30 minutes, and wipe off with a plastic scouring pad. Rinse. Dry.

Regards from Perth

Derek