Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live Edge Coffee Table

Live Edge Coffee Table

This project really has no plans. It started a few weeks ago when we wanted to look at their pecky Bolivian walnut. Everything they had was in a shed, stacked to the ceiling. It was a Saturday. The deal primarily with commercial customers. Saturday has a skeleton crew. No fork lift drivers. No way to pick through the piles.

Inside is a showroom, so to speak of live edge planks. Suddenly I hear, "Julie! Come look at this!" I thought I was the wood nut. I turn a corner and there's my SO, with an excited look, pointing at a live edge piece. "It's flamewood, like the island boards. Wouldn't this make a cool coffee table?" What could I say? Here's what we brought home

I thought about pulling the router sled out but all that rot in the middle left me skeptical. BTW, my SO loves the rotted out center and it is my job to preserve it. So the top would only me RO sanded. The plan is to put glass on top so the wood underneath just needs to look good.

After sanding and with mineral spirits applied

Next was beefing up the splits. The SO nixed quilted maple I picked out for butterfly splines because it was too bold and I nixed the precious ebony I have. So I went with pecky Bolivian walnut hoping to make a connection with the entertainment center.

I planed and sanded the first spline and went to work on the second. After those two were done I applied some BLO to match the rest of the slab.

This is what the workbench looked like after all that

Now I have to figure out how to do the legs...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I think to will look nice when you finish. A lot of extra work on your part though.
    It's kinda cool when the SO is into picking wood. I know mine likes too. However, it also appear that they have a much different eye than a wood worker, and seem to gravitate to the hardest, most unstable, piece of wood to work with in the store/pile.

PS
    Is it to late to dye the butterfly's ebony? The ebony coloring would be a very dramatic accent.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-01-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That's going to be a lovely table, Julie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I think to will look nice when you finish. A lot of extra work on your part though.
    It's kinda cool when the SO is into picking wood. I know mine likes too. However, it also appear that they have a much different eye than a wood worker, and seem to gravitate to the hardest, most unstable, piece of wood to work with in the store/pile.

PS
    Is it to late to dye the butterfly's ebony? The ebony coloring would be a very dramatic accent.
    Mike, I got sucked into the excitement of the moment and never once examined the slab for the challenges it may bring. The worst is the rot in the center. I wanted to fill it with epoxy but that discussion was shut down instantly. But I like your idea about black dye. I'll do some experimenting...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's going to be a lovely table, Julie!
    Thanks, Jim. Now what lays ahead is how to make the legs? In the search for ideas, there's not a lot of originality on the Internet. There was two leg designs we both liked but one wouldn't work for the shape of the slab we have. The other is this:

I've got some 8/4 sipo I plan to use for the legs so this design might be adaptable. My brain is out of ideas...

I'm guessing the top frame of the legs are part of a rectangle upon which sits the top. Or do you think there are just two pieces that that tie the two halves together and are secured to the top?

I think that dying the butterflies would be challenging. The issue is that the dye doesn't penetrate very far into the wood. In my experience, a few strokes of a plane will take off the dyed exterior. If you inlay a butterfly, and count on planing it flush, you may go through the dye.
    And dying the butterfly in place will not work. The dye will wick over into the flamewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think that dying the butterflies would be challenging. The issue is that the dye doesn't penetrate very far into the wood. In my experience, a few strokes of a plane will take off the dyed exterior. If you inlay a butterfly, and count on planing it flush, you may go through the dye.
    And dying the butterfly in place will not work. The dye will wick over into the flamewood.
    The butterfly ties have been planed flush, Jamie, but I completely agree with the problems of trying to control the dye from wicking over. Somewhere in the back of my cobweb memory I recall experimenting with that, but, IIRC it could not pass close inspection. And, giving this more thought, considering the fact some of the slab wood is very porous, while the walnut isn't, could create more control problems.

I would expect that the support under those slab sections in the photo is most likely rectangular as you mention to prevent weight forces from separating things. The hidden cross members may or may not be full thickness like the visible rails are, however.
    --

We've talked this leg thing to death and gotten nowhere. I am completely stuck on what to do for the legs!

I can relate. I have 3 slabs of big leaf maple just waiting for me to figure out bases.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I'm trying to think of something creative. I don't know about you, Steve, but creative is not one of my strengths.

Beautiful slab, Julie. Just my 2 cents, but for irregular shaped slabs I like the simplicity of strategically placed legs like in this picture:

BA756EC0-7AAB-4DA3-93D7-AEEDAD7F6C62.jpeg

I think they are very complimentary, yet don’t take away from the slab...which should be the main focus.

Phil, I really like how you let those legs into the slab and have them in contrasting material. Really nice look!
    --

Jim, thank you!, but I can’t take credit where it’s not due. This is a photo I found on the internet some time ago. It’s how I want to do a slab coffee table for our cabin...at some point this winter. That’s the plan anyway. I hope mine turns out this well.

It's a gorgeous slab of wood! I think you'll end up having a beautiful table.