Thread: Edge Profile Using CNC

Edge Profile Using CNC

Hi,

I have designed a plaque in Fusion 360. It is a Celtic cross with many corners and curves. It needs an Ogee profile all around the outside edge. So, I have 2 questions.

1. Is it best to design the profile and cut it with end mill/carving bits, or use an Ogee profile router bit? I would rather use a profile bit.

2. If I was to use just a profile bit, how would the toolpath work? I'm having trouble envisioning this?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 5.27.44 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would just setup your profile path with the profile bit using some lead ins and lead outs if your tool doesnt allow for plunging.

The molding profile tool path in VCP and Aspire could also be employed to do edge profiles like this, I believe. Especially if they are continuous all around the workpiece. Think of it like a picture frame.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim, I used VCarve Pro when I did some family plaques years ago out of walnut and they turned out wonderfully. I would not have a clue how to do in Fusion 360. Used a 3/8 inch ball nose bit and then cut out with a 1/4 inch carbide straight bit.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

As I understand it, Fusion 360 is a 3-D modeling program. I'm not sure whether it will generate a 2-D path. It certainly needs to. Cutting this as a 3-D tool path will take forever and the end result won't be nearly as good. Maybe someone correct me if I am wrong about Fusion 360.

Art, while Fusion 360 has very nice 3D capabilities and it also supports 2D tool paths. It wouldn't be very useful if it didn't do that since even 3D projects need 2D toolpaths for things like cut-outs, drilling, pocketing, etc.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-05-2018 at 1:00 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone. Fusion is all I have. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how to do it and can't find anyone that does. I'll just rout the edges with a router and Ogee bit. Probably be faster anyway.

FWIW, I've had good success with taking an ogee or roundover bit and removing the bearing, then grinding off the stud so you have a flat bottom, then trick the software into thinking it's a 1/2" straight End Mill and then route the edge as a standard male toolpath, using a 3-d lead-in helps it to plunge better.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.