Thread: I Need A Spray Booth With A More Stable Climate

Wink I Need A Spray Booth With A More Stable Climate

I used to have a makeshift spray booth in my basement which worked for everything but big stuff. Now the spray booth is the driveway. I put on the final coat on all the cabinets then dark clouds started rolling in. IN MY SPRAY BOOTH?!?! All I have left to spray is flat pieces.

Does it ever rain in your spray booth?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I pick days after a rain, to keep dust down, and with enough wind to blow overspray away and not have to wear a respirator, but not enough to stir up anything to get in wet finish.
    This cheap HVLP is dedicated to oil based primer. Better coatings get better spray equipment, and an inside "booth".
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used to use 1 of the instant canopy with sidewall curtains, and it worked great. I have been thinking of building the one the Down To Earth Woodworker built on YouTube. You may be able to find plans on Highland Woodworkings site. It can be set up in multiple configurations based on project size.

Not only does it rain in my spray booth, there are bugs, and pine needles to fight with. It's amazing, on a winter day, on south side of the shop, in sunlight, as soon as I start spraying FLIES show up. Same happens when I cut certain brands of plywood down to size.

I built a cheap spray booth in my build("24 x 26 shop")and it works great.

It doesn't rain in my spray booth, in fact it hardly ever even rains here period I do have major blowing dust and sand to contend with, so my spray booth is in my "shop" with a mini split. My spray booth came from the big box store and works okay but it takes more time than I'd like to set it up and tear it down

Spray Booth 4.jpg

Spray Booth 1.jpg

Spray Booth.jpg

Spray Booth 2.jpg

Spray Booth 3.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

^^^^ Thats pretty much the route Ive been figuring Im going to have to go too. Pain to setup and take down, but I imagine it works fine once its up. I have a few box fans and filters I was planning to use to add some exhaust out of the back.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My woodshop is too small and messy to be my spray booth but I have a two car garage that currently only has one car in it next door. I'm thinking of using some plastic I already have (6 mil) to create walls I can roll up and store against the ceiling when I'm not spraying. I spray in it now but it makes a mess. I also spray outside in the driveway but have the issues that have been mentioned (plant debris, bugs, weather, etc.).

I used to have a temporary detachable spray booth setup in my garage so I can spray stuff when I have an order. after 1 job. I decided that was enough, it takes too long to setup and takes too long to cure, so I paid someone to build a proper shed and reused the fan from the temp booth to it so it becomes a proper spray booth.

MY Temporary booth. each pan meausures 4 ft wide x 7 ft tall (1200mm x 2100mm),there are 10 panels. it was about 12ft wide x 8ft deep

IMG_2813.jpgIMG_2810.jpgIMG_2811.jpg

my new booth. doors to be installed, 8ft wide x 13ft deep, 7ft tall internally (2400mm x 4000mm, 2200mm high)
    IMG_3155.jpgIMG_3331.jpg
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 09-02-2018 at 10:04 PM.

In the last house I made up a small spray booth that I used a lot for spraying cabinet doors, drawer fronts and guitars. The wall "studs" were made of 1/2" PVC pipe that fit snug to the basement ceiling. It worked great for smaller pieces and I brought all the PVC pipe and fittings down in the move. It's too small for the cabinet sections I'm working on now but I considered using the parts to make an expanded version in the lanai. But I'm so close to finishing, I talked myself out of it.

Now that the remnants of TS Gordon are gone, it's back to the driveway...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I am pretty much done with my new shop, just a few nagging things left to get done ( like spray insulation into the ceiling). The photo below isn't up to date, but it shows where I will be spraying. Currently I am subject to rain, bugs, snow, leaves, and even paw prints. All that will go away soon. I plan on either making temp sides, or semi-permanent sides (insulated) for the car port area so I can spray year round and bug/rain free.

Shop3.jpg

I have been spraying outside for the past 9 years. The worst are the miggies that land and stick when the finish is new. I refuse to spray in the evening any more. I always try and spray in the morning, about an hour after the sun breaks over the mountains to the east.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...stant-shelters

Or the vendor of your choice. I was told in an earlier career that they were very popular in LA amongst the car crowd for refinishing project cars. Set it up in your driveway or backyard and get the finishing done. I'm guessing they may have accessorized with some fans and inlet filters to keep the environment relatively clean. The important filters in a paint booth are the ones on the incoming side that keep the dirt, bugs, etc out of the finish. The outlet filters just collect the overspray.

Don