Thread: New Jet Lathe Banjo Replacement Possibility Question

New Jet Lathe Banjo Replacement Possibility Question

Good afternoon.
    I have finally decided to delve into the wood turning game. Taking advantage of the Labor day sales, I ordered a Jet 1221VS.

I picked this lathe for several reason, first being its 1hp motor and the ability to add a longer bed if needed. I figured this would be a good starting lathe.

The only thing that really has me scratching my head is that in most videos, the major complaint seems to be the tool rest lock method. I can't imagine this would be very safe as its consistent stability seems questionable.

Does anyone have any experience using a banjo from a larger lathe that doesn't use the grub screw setup?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I've never heard of any problem with the tool post locking. It's what almost all other lathes use.

It sounds like you must have watched the video from David Peters (a laid back young guy with a plaid shirt leaning against the lathe with a cup of coffee). I get the impression that maybe the reason that he is having problems with the toolrest moving is lack of experience. He really honks down on the banjo locking lever and the tool post locking lever ... far more than necessary.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 08-31-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Bill

Every lathe I have owned has that same locking system. It works. Occasionally and I need to lock it a little bit harder but most of the time it's just fine.

Never had a problem with the Jet banjo! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I would try the banjo that comes with the lathe first and see how it works for you. If you decide you'd like to upgrade it, then it's hard to beat a Oneway banjo. They aren't cheap, but they are nicer than the Jet ones. https://oneway.ca/12%22-Banjo-For-12...s?search=banjo

--Geoff

I started on that jet Jeremy, and one of my complains was the banjo. this only was a problem when I was putting significant pressure on it. I do not know if Jet has changed the locking block but they used to be round, I found that the surface wasn't enough. make a new block that is square if you run into trouble. the best answer is a oneway banjo but they are a little pricey. That being said well worth the money. If you do this have Kevein at oneway make you a block for the tail stock as well. I really think the standard set up from jet will do you for quiet a while.

I have an earlier version of that lathe, and yes, I have trouble locking the tool rest in place.

Earlier I had assumed that you were talking about locking the tool rest post, but it appears that it is the banjo that is moving around on the bed that you are having problems with. Sometimes the cause is something simple like oil or dust or wax on the bed and bottom of the banjo. Clean them up with mineral spirits or naphtha (test to make sure that the lathe paint won't be harmed) that might solve your problem. You could also tighten the nut on the clamping plate a fraction of a turn to see if that helps. If you push and pull hard enough you can move any banjo so see if there is a problem with your normal turning before spending lots of money.
    Bill

Awesome, guys! Thanks for the links and tips. All great nuggets of knowledge.

I had the problem with my Jet 1642 and upgraded to a banjo from Robust that fit the Liberty. Brett made a clamp plate to fit the Jet. It made a world of different. Instead of just one point of contact the Liberty uses a cam system that's much tighter.

slippery lathe bed - just say no

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Earlier I had assumed that you were talking about locking the tool rest post, but it appears that it is the banjo that is moving around on the bed that you are having problems with. Sometimes the cause is something simple like oil or dust or wax on the bed and bottom of the banjo....
    I've seen this problem several times from those who like to keep the cast iron ways clean, polished, and lubricated. I learned very quickly NOT to do that when I got my first real lathe, a shiny new Jet 1642. Since then I've never had that problem on any of my lathes since I haven't continued that particular obsession - I'm more likely to have the opposite problem where the banjo is hard to move!

I remember Graeme Priddle talking about this at the NC symposium last year. He rightly said an insecure banjo is a terrible thing, both for excellence of turning and worse, for safety. His recommendation sounds a little extreme, perhaps tongue-in-cheek: the first thing to do with a brand new lathe is put it outside in the weather until there is rust on the bed!

Perhaps something else would work for most - don't wax or lubricate but clean with solvent and coarse sandpaper when needed, both the ways and the contact area under the banjo. Or wipe it down with a few drops of some finish or thin CA and save the Renaissance Wax for the tool rest.

JKJ

I quickly found out that waxing the moving internal parts in the banjo is not a good thing, especially on a PM3520. The lockdown turned to a mushy feeling and would not stay in position. I removed the wax and everything was fine again. I do have a Jet 1220 and it is not as sensitive as the PM, but now I do not wax or lubricate the internal parts either. I do keep the bed ways protected with paste wax.

If you want a rusty surface, just leave green/fresh olive chips and sawdust on the ways. It will take care of it in a few minutes.

I used the 1221VS for a few years, and even did a review video on it while wearing a plaid shirt :-) The tool post isn't a show-stopper issue, mostly an annoyance. It just means that you won't be able to do heavy cuts at the ends of the rest. Otherwise it's a good product with just a few fit & finish issues.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've seen this problem several times from those who like to keep the cast iron ways clean, polished, and lubricated. I learned very quickly NOT to do that when I got my first real lathe, a shiny new Jet 1642. Since then I've never had that problem on any of my lathes since I haven't continued that particular obsession - I'm more likely to have the opposite problem where the banjo is hard to move!

I remember Graeme Priddle talking about this at the NC symposium last year. He rightly said an insecure banjo is a terrible thing, both for excellence of turning and worse, for safety. His recommendation sounds a little extreme, perhaps tongue-in-cheek: the first thing to do with a brand new lathe is put it outside in the weather until there is rust on the bed!

Perhaps something else would work for most - don't wax or lubricate but clean with solvent and coarse sandpaper when needed, both the ways and the contact area under the banjo. Or wipe it down with a few drops of some finish or thin CA and save the Renaissance Wax for the tool rest.

JKJ
    I was one of those guilty parties for several years..Everything looked so nice and shiny ... fit for a showroom. And the banjo and tailstock would glide so smoothly because there was almost no friction. Maybe there's an almost obvious clue somewhere ... let's see ... smooth gliding ... hardly any friction ... wonder why I can't lock the banjo and tailstock well enough to keep them from moving? Duh! Anyway, the light bulb in my head finally came on. Since my Robust has stainless steel ways rust isn't a problem and the banjo and tailstock slide just fine without wax.
    Bill