Thread: Help designing a strong 5.5' wide wooden gait

Blog Entries

Help designing a strong 5.5' wide wooden gait

I recently had to remove one side of a diy 6' picket fence gait in order to make room for a concrete truck.
    My contractor broke off a 4x4 post while trying to pull it out of the ground. Now I plan to simply make that side one foot wider.
    For the current double gait I used 2x4s to form 2 sections , top and bottom, and added steel off-the-shelf corner braces.
    My question is would this same design work as well or better than using 2x6s, a section, again, top and bottom but with one 2x6 diagonal brace each. Or make the gait of one section with a diagonal from bottom of post out to end of gait this making the gait slightly lighter.
    With the diagonal wood brace would the metal braces help firm it up or would they just add more weight?

Welcome to the Creek Bill.

There are a million ways to build a gate. I like the looks of a "Z" shaped frame with vertical boards over them. The center diagonal adds most of the strength. My opinion is that it works best if it is no steeper than 45 degrees.

My biggest question, is what is the primary use of the gate? Do you use it several times a day or does it get used a few times per year when you need to deliver something to the back yard? If it gets used daily, then I would cut it in half. One side is mostly stationary with a ground pin that can be pulled when needed. The other side has a simple latch. Smaller gates a more convenient than a single wide gate. It should be just wide enough for the lawn mower or trash cans or whatever you use all the time.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    My question is would this same design work as well or better than using 2x6s, a section, again, top and bottom but with one 2x6 diagonal brace each.
    Unless you are trying to keep something (large animals?) from breaking through the gate, I suggest you make the gate as lightweight as possible. You could use a heavy vertical member on the side whrere the hinges go to hold big hinges.

5C1B53A6-37B7-4044-8395-ACCB43C73C5D.jpg5C1B53A6-37B7-4044-8395-ACCB43C73C5D.jpgThis gate is 6’ wide. One side fixed as mentioned above
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

It is the cross brace that adds the strength to the gate. Place the cross brace so that it goes from the bottom of the upright where the hinges are to the top where the latch is on the opposite upright. Without this brace your gate will be weak and subject to sagging. While the gate in the post above is a really nice looking gate it is not structural sound and if you look closely you will notice that there is a gap at the bottom of the gate but the top is completely closed. This will get worse as time goes along.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 08-31-2018 at 7:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    To elaborate a bit, I want occasional access for my Ranger to the back yard. The old gate was wide enough for the concrete truck, but, as I wrote somewhere above, there is a broken of 4x4 post with a 60 pound bag of concrete clinging to it. So, decided to go wider and set the new 4x6 post against that and pour concrete.
    I know you may be thinking I'M lazy. You would be correct. I feel no compulsion to dig that concrete out.
    Placing it on the other side would cut the width too much to get my truck through.

Blog Entries
    What would be the ideal angle of the crossbrace? The dimension of the outside of the framework will differ greatly.
    What angle is ideal for a single diagonal where the gate overall size is 6' tall and 5'6" wide.
    From some material I read somewhere, stopping the diagonal brace short of the corner of the frame opposite the post side sometimes is stronger. I do not understand that in its entirety

Blog Entries
    I keep getting sidetracked from my new shop due to a process that I have been dragging though the forum for well over a year.
    But I'm making progress in spite of myself. Yesterday my wife and I finished up the channel drain install. I was able to rent a concrete mixer 2 days/$20 total at a local mom and pop hw store. I like buying from them just because. They have to pay to take debit/credit cards while the big box stores catch a break.
    Besides, they have saved me a lot over the years by providing me with what I want without a much longer drive to a big box store...and their prices are fairly comparable.
    And my son-in-law has a good start in the new subpanel, but his time is in short supply.

But I still must finnish a new gate before it freezes. Had to take it down to get my portable garage moved in place.
    It's a mess and I decided I want to build something that would add curb appeal, something other that the usual wood frame with pickets.
    I want to build 2 new equal-sized wooden gates that, for now, I want to build with visible metal frame or trim.
    If you've built some such design I'd love to hear from you and perhaps see pics.
    I want it to look nothing at all like the rest of the fence.
    I think you may understand what I mean when I say I'm looking for a kind of heavy, industrial look.
    I've looked at a lot of pics of similar gates but with either galvanized pipe or square tubing and they don't do it for me.
    Any ideas you'd like to share.
    I just approached my wife with my idea and she is as excited as I am.