Thread: Gerber Saber 408

Gerber Saber 408

Anyone have experience with them? I found one that I am going to check out but don't have much knowledge about them. I have to see if this one is capable of gcode so I can use Aspire. Not familiar with the software that they use otherwise. It is 3 phase but comes with a converter.

I don't have much info on this particular machine yet and am just trying to find out if there is anything particular that I need to check on before I go much further.

It may take G code but I believe Gerber communication software is proprietary. A place to start would be checking Aspire to see if they offer a Gerber post processor. I don't think they do. I don't have the file handy or I'd look for you.

From what I have read Aspire does not offer a Gerber post processor but they advised that if it would use G code which some have the capability, then you could use a generic PP. That was older info but they advised that at that time they did not have any plans to put the man hours into creating one. I am still trying to find info on the machine online to see if it is worth even going to look at.

For what its worth a discussion on CNC Zone found with a Search. It looks to take proprietary software and specialized aimed more at Sign making. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/comme...-software.html
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Gerber hardware generally requires Gerber software. Their routing software is called ART Path, so check if that is included. Here is a link to Gerber's website for the Saber routers: https://gspinc.com/sabre

From just skimming through their manual, it looks like the Saber can be fed g-code, but Gerber says it requires a technician to tell you how to do it. I don't know how good their tech support is for old/used/out-of-warranty equipment, but they might help you out. Just for reference, we sent in a machine for them to repair, and their labor cost was $140-$180/hr, so I don't know how much they might charge for tech support...

(Gerber is big in the sign industry, which is where I work and how I've become familiar with them.)

Gerber charges just to get to their support

Thanks for the responses. I've been doing some online research last night and did contact Vectric. They said it can be done on some machines but not all and usually involved having Gerber tech support assist in the process. I did see everything was proprietary. Seems like all that I could really find were buyers of used machines who were searching for solutions on cost effective ways to change parts and controls to something non proprietary. Looks like I will pass on this one.

Bobby...
    If the machine is cheap, (and they usually are due to outdated proprietary software and they are usually sloooow) buy it and throw a Centroid Acorn or WinCNC on it. I think WinCNC stocks a version of my controller that is virtually plug and play on Gerber machines. They see a lot of them
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Yeah, it is what I consider cheap. 10k for it, vacuum pump and 3 phase convertor.

What do you need to know, I've owned and operated one for 20 years.
    Saber 408, Mutoh rockhopper, epilog 36ext, M&R and Sias screenpresss, gerber edge, gerber enVision, gerber hs15

I ended up not purchasing it