Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self closing drawer slides

Self closing drawer slides

I’m looking for drawer slides that close IF you let go of the drawer. Not soft close , or self closing once the drawer is all most closed. But slides that close the drawer if the drawer is released in any open position.

The idea is drawer in steps risers , the issue is a drawer being left part way , or all the way open and some one stepping into the drawer coming down the stairs.

TIA

Don't know if that type of drawer slide exists (not my area of expertise) but if you can't find them how about using a pair of soft close drawer slides combined with a pair of springs or bungee cords to pull the drawer almost closed and then let the self closing slide complete the action. Bungee cords would make it easy to adjust the tension by lengthening or shortening the bungees or using different diameter cords or multiple cords.

I've never seen drawer slides that do exactly what you describe. How about using standard sidemount slides, but mount them at an angle, so the drawer rises as you pull it out. The drawer stays level, but it rises. When you let go, the drawer rolls back downhill. You could use softclose slides, so the drawer doesn't slam when it closes.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 08-31-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Here's a sketch:

Riserdrawer.jpg

Soft close doesn't work if you can't train the kid (19 Year old) to push them in. This is my current problem. I would use some sort of counter weight to close them or a spring load. Let us know what you end up with. Dan

Jamie , interesting idea, thanks!

You’d all most think some one who market a slide that does this!

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

That is a great idea Jamie. It’s take up more space because of the vertical movement, but it’s a very good solution. You’d probabaly have to bevel the bottom rail of the drawer opening a bit.

Blog Entries
    Having to hold a drawer open while getting something out of it would infuriate me (personal problem ). I will be interested in what comes up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've never seen drawer slides that do exactly what you describe. How about using standard sidemount slides, but mount them at an angle, so the drawer rises as you pull it out. The drawer stays level, but it rises. When you let go, the drawer rolls back downhill. You could use softclose slides, so the drawer doesn't slam when it closes.
    I have done this and it works. But, as Glenn points out, it is sometimes inconvenient when you need two hands to get something out. If you do this you'll need to make sure your drawers are not so tall they hit on the top as they come up & out.

When I was installing Blum Tandem slides on the island, I didn't properly level the slides on the silverware drawer. Open it and it immediately tries to close itself. Every time I am putting clean silverware away, I have to lean against the drawer to keep it open. It drives me nuts and I tell myself I need to fix that. Then I walk away and it's quickly forgotten.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I have to say gravity always works. An alternative it to spec/select long extension springs. One each left and right. They will provide the motive force in place of gravity and the drawer will operate as normal (flat). Google Century Spring Corp and you can select a spring set. Oh, I'd use soft close too.

I used to have to do that for my children's beds. I never found a product designed for the application. I ended up just mounting my slides at a slight angle and letting gravity do the work.

IMO drawers in a stairway is never a good idea regardless of the closing mechanism. What if someone puts something in the drawer that is too tall and the drawer fails to close all the way, creating a dangerous trip hazard? Low risk maybe, but the consequences could be devastating.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

To cover the concern Scott raises, how about adding a spring loaded lid for the drawer that flips up when the drawer is open so someone coming down the stair is given a visible warning that the drawer is open? Perhaps paint it red so it is highly visible.

Have you ever walked down stairs without looking down at the steps? Have you ever walked down stairs in the dark at night?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.