Thread: Spindle project

Spindle project

A local cabinet shop needed some spindles and I took the job. They asked for 48 spindles and brought 53 blanks and a pattern. The blanks were 2-1/2" square x 18" long Cypress glue ups. I will be delivering the spindles tomorrow. I would not want to do this type of work every day but once in a while keeps the skills up and brings in a few dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, good sharp detail and corners. That wood looks sappy. Too many rely on "cypress", without detail. But maybe they are headed for interior use. For exterior, I would treat them with 'copper brown' copper naphthalate.

Very nice work. How long did it take you to complete the job?

Wow - very nice work Dennis! From what I can see, you did a pretty good job on replicating the pattern! Your customer is going to be really happy with this! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow---really nice.

Well done Sir! In my limited experience, multiples spindle turning is a real challenge!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Particularly nice. My experience spindle turning 2nd growth glued up cypress has convinced me that I would rather turn anything else. SOft, with pronounced difference in densit between early and late growth and prone to scooping when sanded. Well done you.

Quite a project. Did you have to "size" the original blanks to square and dimension or were they true dimension? Just sizing that many blanks would be a chore. Good job.