Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is all big box store plywood warped??????

Why is all big box store plywood warped??????

Both Home Depot and Lowes here where I live have warped plywood. I've seen videos of them making plywood in huge hot presses with pressure and heat - and they are dead flat when they come out of the press. Where along the way do they intentionally warp them? It must be intentional as no matter what type or thickness or size, they are warped...……. Rant over...…. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Both Home Depot and Lowes here where I live have warped plywood. I've seen videos of them making plywood in huge hot presses with pressure and heat - and they are dead flat when they come out of the press. Where along the way do they intentionally warp them? It must be intentional as no matter what type or thickness or size, they are warped...……. Rant over...…. Randy
    And the ones that aren't warped are usually broken or damaged from the forklift or handling
    Dick Mahany.

Nature of the Beast. If you want flat Multi-Ply is the way to go. Baltic Birch or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Randy, think price. A sheet of good plywood is about twice the price of what you're looking at, if you're thinking of cabinet making stuff.................Rod.

The warping occurs during transport from the warp drive. Big Over priced Retail Giant. Also known as the Borg. Stay away unless you want to be assimilated
    Aj

It is partially due to handling sure, but its also just junk quality. Useful for maybe shop projects that youre going to beat the heck out of, but certainly not anything nice.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Randy, think price. A sheet of good plywood is about twice the price of what you're looking at, if you're thinking of cabinet making stuff.................Rod.
    ...and it has to be stored correctly. I just discovered my last full sheet of 19mm cabinet grade plywood is now scrap because I leaned it on an angle against a wall in my garage a couple of weeks ago and forgot about it. It now has a significant warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    ...and it has to be stored correctly. I just discovered my last full sheet of 19mm cabinet grade plywood is now scrap because I leaned it on an angle against a wall in my garage a couple of weeks ago and forgot about it. It now has a significant warp.
    Many people make the same mistake in glue-ups. After assembly on a flat top but move the assembly in clamps to the floor or against, introducing possible twist to their work without realizing it ... until they try to hing a door to it (if a cabinet)!

Simon

9. I was picking up some ply from Lowes and the size I needed was all warped and water damaged. I let one of the employees know, and he said they already knew, but there was nothing they could do. Their AC unit was dripping condensation down on all the stacks.

Most import (read Chinese) core plywood is not only warped, but sometimes will turn corners while being ripped.
    I haven't used 1/2" Baltic birch in years because it was always warped.
    You need a good local plywood/hardwood supplier carrying quality domestic plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Many people make the same mistake in glue-ups. After assembly on a flat top but move the assembly in clamps to the floor or against, introducing possible twist to their work without realizing it ... until they try to hing a door to it (if a cabinet)!

Simon

That makes sense and I just learned something that I will try to correct! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    It is partially due to handling sure, but its also just junk quality. Useful for maybe shop projects that youre going to beat the heck out of, but certainly not anything nice.
    You can always buy framing at the same store that is equally crooked, and either go for an "organic" design sense in your construction, or maybe oppose the curves and pull everything back to straight. If neither of those works, probably need to pony up the much bigger bucks for quality material.

The way they store plywood on rack with arms make them warp. I go to Menards where they store the plywood flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The way they store plywood on rack with arms make them warp. I go to Menards where they store the plywood flat.
    This ^^^^^^

The biggest problem is lack of QC in manufacturing. It takes extra steps and care to make plywood that doesn't easily warp. Extra steps and American thriftiness can't co-exist.