Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is all big box store plywood warped??????

Plywood I have gotten at Menards in the past was as badly warped as any as soon as you removed it from the pressure of the pile. Poor storage doesn't help, but the quality of BORG plywood pretty much guarantees it won't be flat.

I think some it is how it is stored. I very seldom see it laying flat. I also sink it is how it is made. That being said Borg plywood is better quality than some plywood I have paid almost 2x for at a real wood store.

For Heavens sake. We learned how to make quality plywood decades ago. If not a half century ago. If you want quality plywood, shop at a place that sells quality plywood.

It won’t be at any of the Borgs. Period. They sell on a price point. If you are looking for quality plywood, stop shopping price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    For Heavens sake. We learned how to make quality plywood decades ago. If not a half century ago. If you want quality plywood, shop at a place that sells quality plywood.

It won’t be at any of the Borgs. Period. They sell on a price point. If you are looking for quality plywood, stop shopping price.
    My original question is why is it all warped.... I'm well aware that you can get anything you want if you want to pay enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    My original question is why is it all warped.... I'm well aware that you can get anything you want if you want to pay enough.
    It warps because it is made with sub par materials that may or may not be properly dried. The adhesives may or may not be evenly applied amongst the plies. The gluing, heating, and cooling process may not be done properly, creating a product that is under stress from the very beginning.

I buy sheet goods from my local hardwoods supplier and millworks. My experience has been that veneer core plywood will eventually always bow to some degree. MDF core plywood is more stable. I have only once purchased plywood from Lowe's which I used right away with good results.

I was at a bus one day, talked to the owner he said he was a past partner in a large supplier I knew of. We talked for a bit, very well to do guy. He said they brought in a lift of ply from offshore to try. Said it smelled so bad they had to leave it outside. One day months later they decided to cut into some of it and the found an underwear band inside a sheet. Have to give them credit at least they were recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    It warps because it is made with sub par materials that may or may not be properly dried. The adhesives may or may not be evenly applied amongst the plies. The gluing, heating, and cooling process may not be done properly, creating a product that is under stress from the very beginning.
    I read somewhere that the veneers aren't dried to the same MC before they're sandwiched which causes warping/twisting.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Menards, Home Depot & Lowes in my area all sell red oak 3/4" (LOL! yeah right!) plywood for around $60 a sheet.
    Hartville Hardware & Terry Lumber charge about double for the same thing.

The quality is about the same - regardless of price.

Yeah Menards does store their's flat instead of on racks w/arms, but, at the new Menards they just built down the road from me, they don't have anyone working there that knows how to stock shelves.
    Instead of carefully putting the sheets in the rack, they jam them in with a forklift and tear the crud out of the edges.

What bothers me the absolute most though about the whole thing is - - they know it's junk, but, they refuse to open a new bundle of decent material until all the scrap on the rack is sold.

One day months later they decided to cut into some of it and the found an underwear band inside a sheet.
    Years ago, someone here posted about finding a utility knife inside a piece of imported plywood. I think about that every single time I cut a sheet.....
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 08-31-2018 at 3:40 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Several years ago I cut through a piece of metal about 6" long in the middle of a sheet of import ply. It was a little thicker than a utility knife blade. Fun stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The way they store plywood on rack with arms make them warp. I go to Menards where they store the plywood flat.
    That was going to be my observation also, but Larry and Matt beat me to it! My local cabinet shop supplier stores all sheet goods on flat shelves not on arms.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Lumbercore plywood might be flatter. Also, buy from a lumber yard instead of big box stores.

Find a local dealer that supplies the cabinet shops with their material. Their stock is usually of much better quality since they are selling to the consumer in the form of finished kitchen and bath cabinets and large built-in cabinets. The price will surely be a bit more but you pay for quality.

At one time plywood was made of old growth trees. Now second growth if lucky.

My local hardwood dealer said overseas plywood core is stored outdoors then sandwiched with the good dry veneer.