Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfeed Table for DeWalt 7491RS Portable Saw Part 1

Outfeed Table for DeWalt 7491RS Portable Saw Part 1

At the suggestion of Lee Schierer from a post in a different forum, here is an outfeed table for the DWE 7491RS portable saw. The table cantilevers from the rear tubular frame of the saw and doesn't interfere with the rack and pinion rear drive guide for the rip fence. It assembles and lifts onto the saw in seconds and stores compactly for ease of transport or storage when not needed. I normally like to do a Sketchup design first, but didn't in this case, and just winged it .

The table measures 26.5" square
    DWE 7491RS Outfeed Table.jpg

The parts store compactly and are easily transported.
    Wings Stored.jpg

Assembly is quick.
    Table Asseembled 1.jpgTable Assembled 2.jpg

A straight edge makes a convenient reference for measuring and positioning for the support wings.
    Straight Edge.jpg

The wings provide the support for the table Additional legs are optional although I have not needed them.
    Wings installed.jpg

A cross member provides for rigidity and locates the table to maintain repeatable clearance from the rip fence guides. A good fit between the notches in the wings and the cross member is important for stability and ease of assembly.
    Cross Member.jpg

Since I have reached the picture limit, I'll continue the rest of the build in Part 2............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-30-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Outfeed Table for DeWalt 7491RS Portable Saw Part 2

Here are the remainder of the pictures from the previous Part 1 post.........

The side blocks control the angle of the wings to maintain the parallelism of the outfeed table to the saw table. I used a scrap off cut from the table material as a spacer between the straight edge and the top of the wings and simply used brads and glue to attach the sides blocks into position. I had thought about making them adjustable, but it turned out not to be needed and this was quick and secure.
    Left Side Close Up.jpgRight Side Close Up.jpg

Once the table is completed and installed the miter slots can be milled.
    Mill Miter Slots.jpg

I don't have plans per se, however I have annotated pictures of the parts with measurements below.
    Most of the dimensions are non critical and simply provide for clearance. The most critical dimension is the location of the arc that hangs the wing on the horizontal frame tube member and the distance to the top of the wing from that arc since it will determine the height of the outfeed table surface.
    Wing Dims 1.jpgWing Dims 2.jpgWing Dims 3.jpgWing Dims 4.jpgWing Dims 5.jpg

The portable table saw is often maligned for having a small table. It is just the nature of compromises that have to be made to keep these saws relatively compact for ease of portability. While an outfeed table won't help on the front side, it does make a substantial improvement to the saw's overall utility. If you are interested in more details, I have a PDF that outlines more. Simply PM me with an email address.

EDIT: Just for clarification, the wings don't have to extend down as low as mine do. I was originally thinking about making an adjustable tilt mechanism on the bottom of the wings that would bear against the rubber saw feet. I decided that wasn't necessary but never cut the bottom of the wings (where the corner notches are shown).
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-30-2018 at 3:26 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dick, nice write up for a very nice accessory.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

4. Dick, this is awesome!! I really appreciate the images as well as the extra photos with measurements. I just got my 7960x and will definitely be making this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Spencer View Post
    Dick, this is awesome!! I really appreciate the images as well as the extra photos with measurements. I just got my 7960x and will definitely be making this.
    Welcome to the Creek and glad they helped.
    Dick Mahany.

Nicely done Dick!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A question was asked if the outfeed table as built could remain on the saw in the vertical storage position. The answer is yes it can, although it is so easy to remove that is isn't apparent why that would be helpful.

IMG_2891.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Just checking to see if anyone has built their own version of this outfeed table.......Would love to see pics if anyone has made improvements to it or if it was adapted to other makes/models. Comments/critiques are most welcome
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks for the inspiration! I have the same saw and needed a small footprint outfeed table. The only part I found problematic in the build was leveling the tabletop when figuring out the placement of the leg stops. Otherwise your measurements were very helpful. Thanks
    IMG_4186 2.jpgIMG_1769 2.jpgIMG_2460 2.jpgIMG_2624 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Lindsley View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration! I have the same saw and needed a small footprint outfeed table. The only part I found problematic in the build was leveling the tabletop when figuring out the placement of the leg stops. Otherwise your measurements were very helpful. Thanks
    IMG_4186 2.jpgIMG_1769 2.jpgIMG_2460 2.jpgIMG_2624 2.jpg
    Great job ! And welcome to the Creek, lots of talented and helpful folks here and I have learned much from them.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Shout out to Dick Mahany. Very nice guy. He sent over some pictures of his in feed table. I made the same based upon his idea.
    20200320_101954.jpg
    20200320_102008.jpg
    20200320_102047.jpg

Now on to the out feed portion.

An infeed table / cross cut sled support was built to complement the 7491 RS out-feed table. It has been in use for over a year and greatly helps with sleds on the small table surface in front of the blade here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....48#post3039448

Inf table.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-22-2020 at 5:00 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 11-16-2020: I was informed that DeWalt has changed the saw frame slightly since I posted this outfeed table info. The upper horizontal frame member is no longer tubular as mine is. It has been changed to a flat C-channel shape. My saw is a Type 2 manufactured in 2017. I do not know when the change was made.

Fortunately the outfeed table design concept is still valid, however the dimensions in the annotated pictures at the beginning of this thread will be different for newer saws. Specifically, the radiused "hook" feature shown in the original pictures will need to be changed to fit over the new flat crossmember. That change will affect form rather than function of the support wing.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-16-2020 at 7:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Picked one up about a month ago, here's the "C" in question. Doesn't look to be an issue.

20210109_182439 (2160 x 1620).jpg 20210109_182449 (2160 x 1620).jpg

Thanks for the plans Dick.

15. Hi, just wondering, do you think the measurements would be pretty similar for a Dewalt 7480?