Thread: Step Jaws - Anyone Use Them?

Step Jaws - Anyone Use Them?

I've had the step jaws for my VM100 for about a year and finally used one of the inner jaws for the steep-sided bowl seen below. The versatility of the jaws seemed like a great idea, but the smaller jaws are recessed enough to make them only usable if you plan ahead and make an extra-long tenon or do work that fits in there - vases, goblets, or steep bowls.

Your thoughts on this style of chuck jaw?

Here I'm using the smallest of the jaws to grip a tenon.

20180830_080706.jpg

I bought some years ago and use them only rarely, when I don't have other jaws that fit.

The problem with simply making a longer tenon to fit in a recessed step is you have to first make a tenon then another with a carefully flattened surface just outside the tenon to bear against the front surface of the step. Since the bottom of the tenon should never touch the jaws, simply using a longer tenon won't allow precise mounting.

I haven't looked at them in a while but for some reason I can't remember now the stepped jaws I have (Nova) didn't give me a lot of confidence in the holding power. I'd be interested in what others say.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've had the step jaws for my VM100 for about a year and finally used one of the inner jaws for the steep-sided bowl seen below. The versatility of the jaws seemed like a great idea, but the smaller jaws are recessed enough to make them only usable if you plan ahead and make an extra-long tenon or do work that fits in there - vases, goblets, or steep bowls.

Your thoughts on this style of chuck jaw?

Here I'm using the smallest of the jaws to grip a tenon.

20180830_080706.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've had the step jaws for my VM100 for about a year and finally used one of the inner jaws for the steep-sided bowl seen below. The versatility of the jaws seemed like a great idea, but the smaller jaws are recessed enough to make them only usable if you plan ahead and make an extra-long tenon or do work that fits in there - vases, goblets, or steep bowls. Your thoughts on this style of chuck jaw?
    I've had step jaws which came as part of a multiple jaw set for at least several years. I have yet to use them once. I've looked at them a number of times, but always seemed to find simpler alternatives using other jaws.

4. I have a set on one of my SuperNova2 chucks. I have found a few times when I used them when I had to remount a form on the lathe, because of some unseen tearout that needed to be dealt with after I had taken the nub off the bottom. I have used them a couple times in expansion mode, as they have a dovetail on the outer edge of the jaws on the Nova system.

They are not used nearly as much as my other jaw sets, but do come in handy on occasion.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I do not own any step jaws because I never could figure out what they were good for. Seems it would better to put a better fitting set of jaws on the chuck. What is the intended purpose of step jaws ? The logic behind the design ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I do not own any step jaws because I never could figure out what they were good for. Seems it would better to put a better fitting set of jaws on the chuck. What is the intended purpose of step jaws ? The logic behind the design ?
    Exactly my reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    They are a not-particularly-well-thought-out design intended to give let you three different tenon sizes with one set of jaws. Probably the most useful as a 65mm jaw.

I bought them (when they were a little cheaper) to evaluate. I'd trade them for a good story or a chunk of wood.

JKJ

Another problem with the step jaws is that you can't get very close to the tenon with any turning tool. So, if you are trying to refine the curve on the exterior you're stuck with Plan B. (This isn't a good enough story, John K. J.)
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 08-31-2018 at 1:26 AM.
    Bill

Yep. What everyone else said. I have a set, can't figure what they are good for........
    Perhaps IF they were the ONLY set of jaws you have, they would be useful. And I mean that in a good way.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I can see them being created back when it was less common to have multiple jaw sets or much less multiple chuck bodies.