Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl Plotter Question

WOW..............Ignorance is a real bugger! Placed the order earlier today. I'm sure I'll find a use for it? Such is life.......I've made bigger mistakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Totally the wrong machine to do masks for wine glasses. That’s photopolymer type masks. We do that too. Done 1000’s and 1000’s of them. We have a 400 piece glass order in house now. Done with Ikonics photoresist mask. You can make a dozen or so masks in 3 minutes. Google Ikonics sandblasting. All you need is the box of film to print the negative on in a laser printer or inkjet printer. Then you expose the film in a UV light source and it’s done. A zillion times easier than cutting and weeding masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Done with Ikonics photoresist mask. You can make a dozen or so masks in 3 minutes.

I was about to suggest this as well. That stuff is amazing. Fast and easy to use.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I use Ikonics Green Laser mask from time to time. You apply it to your glass or whatever and then raster it away and sandblast. I bought a way bigger roll than I needed but it gets used from time to time. It's fine for a few things but not something you want for large runs.

Funny thing I started years ago with a KNK vinyl cutter and used vinyl shelf and chalkboard paper for my masks. I was doing blasting plastic tumblers at the time with 80 grit glass bead media and it worked great.

@Steve, Let us know how your new machine works out.

I was working with few vinyl plotter brands with dragged blade and best which I was using was Mimaki (Japan brand, few k$ depend of size and model). Mutoh was working not so bad as well, I was using it over 10 years. But not good as Mimaki. Roland and Graphtec was in my opinion on moderate level. Was working on both for few months. Personally I will don't go to Graphtec, it was closest in quality to typical China products. Cheap Chinese - generally not too good (have one at this moment, called Foison C-24). Biggest issues with cutting thick sandblasting material are:
    1) Can't cut through even with designated blade - due lack of real force
    2) Rotation of material due slipping/stretching on the rolls - especially when high cutting force is set-up
    Both above depends of material brand (there are many brands and "colors" - gray, green, red etc.) and in my opinion best is a just check particular plotter with 2-3 different brands of sandblasting foil/rubber.
    Unfortunately I never had a chance to use Summagraphics, but if they will be in my budget range - probably they will be the best buy.
    Red & Black KH-7050 / 80W EFR F2 / "24mm" head with lens 20/mirror 25mm / extended working area 720x510 | Foison vinyl cutter 2FT wide | Was working on Epilog, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, Graphtec, CNCs, laminators etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Szul View Post
    I was working with few vinyl plotter brands with dragged blade and best which I was using was Mimaki (Japan brand, few k$ depend of size and model). Mutoh was working not so bad as well, I was using it over 10 years. But not good as Mimaki. Roland and Graphtec was in my opinion on moderate level. Was working on both for few months. Personally I will don't go to Graphtec, it was closest in quality to typical China products. Cheap Chinese - generally not too good (have one at this moment, called Foison C-24). Biggest issues with cutting thick sandblasting material are:
    1) Can't cut through even with designated blade - due lack of real force
    2) Rotation of material due slipping/stretching on the rolls - especially when high cutting force is set-up
    Both above depends of material brand (there are many brands and "colors" - gray, green, red etc.) and in my opinion best is a just check particular plotter with 2-3 different brands of sandblasting foil/rubber.
    Unfortunately I never had a chance to use Summagraphics, but if they will be in my budget range - probably they will be the best buy.
    With all due respect I'm totally confused?

for what it's worth since we went off the rails from rubber to photoresist, BUT Steve has a Graphtec coming:

Just did a bit of research here at work and online... The vinyl cutter I'm now using I just found out is a Graphtec FC2100-50 re-badged by New Hermes---
    -just like the re-badged Universal-New Hermes laser sitting right behind it
    graphtec.jpg
    Best guess on age is it's around 22 years old right now. Got it from my New Hermes rep about 8 years ago. I don't do a lot of vinyl work but it works just fine, and this much I know: My BIL has a roll of 117 Anchor resist that he cuts from time to time with it, and it's 40mils thick. It's just a swivel knife machine, and I have a 'thick stuff' knife he uses. I guess it works okay to cut the stuff, I need to ask him

I've found quite a few 'vinyl guys' that swear by their Graphtec machines, and I can't complain about mine
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for all the input. I sent an email yesterday attempting to cancel the Graphtec cutter. We'll see if that work. In the long run it probably doesn't matter, just a matter of timing I suppose. Meanwhile I'll read back through everyone's comments and back posts and maybe I can makes sense of things or at least come up with better questions

You should be able to cancel, no different than returning an un-needed gift--? No sense spending that kind of money if you ultimately don't need the thing!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I LOVE my graphtec. I've had the cheap chinese cutters and now that I've got my graphtec I'll never go back.
    It's super reliable. I haven't had to adjust anything in a very long time.
    One area the graphtec excels in is that it's dead accurate if you need to run 2 passes. That's something the cheap chinese citters can't do reliably.
    I cut thick reflective vinyl and I have to run 2 passes and I've never had a problem.

I see more people wishing they had upgraded than thinking 6 months down the road they spent too much.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I'm still confused and undecided, lol, but it's been an interesting thread with all the different perspectives. Thanks to all wh contributed!

I had expanded my business too wide & now all of my Vinyl equipment has been pushed off to the side & gather dust.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I was able to cancel the Graphtec plotter and they were VERY nice about it. Enough so that if I change my mind I'll go back to them I'm still reading past sandblasting threads trying to absorb some of the finer details and when I receive some media and some masking material I'll see how much I still have to learn

Steve, sandcarving is pretty easy with the Rayzist or Ikonics setups. You simply mask the positive on your printer, then exposure the film for 2-3 minutes, and then put that on the glass, press it down, mask it off, if needed, and blast away. Wash off the item, peel the mask and it's done. It takes about 10 seconds to blast a wine glass. It takes longer to prep it and clean it than it does to blast it.

It's pretty easy. Only real issues you'll have is with the sizes of logos and shapes of glasses. You can't do a huge logo that wraps around a spherical glass too easily. You'll learn the limitations and guide customers to what they can and cannot expect to do.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.