Thread: Which one?

Which one?

After I got a couple of replies on my last post I now have more questions on which lathe I should buy. I am now think about the Laguna Revo 1836-220 or the Jet 1640EVS. Any suggestion will help.

I just went through the same process. After asking a lot of questions here and elsewhere, I ended up getting the Laguna Revo 1836-220. After receiving it and putting it together, I am extremely impressed with the fit and finish of the Laguna Revo 1836-220. It is a heavy monster. I ended up getting their mobility kit also as I needed the ability to move it around. It rolls around very smoothly. I would love to give you feedback on turning on it but I had to have some surgery that has precluded me from getting on it like I planned. I did turn 1 small bowl before the surgery and it did turn very, very smoothly. The variable speed and other features are a pleasure to use.

Jim

Cecil, I posted in your other thread, so my opinion has already been said. I had my Jet for 5 years and it was a good lathe, but the Laguna has a much better fit and finish as Jim has commented, and I have turned on mine quite a bit. I do a lot of lidded bowls and offset platters - some up to 24". The Laguna is a work mule and will do anything I ask of it. Smooth, solid and quiet. I don't core, but I suspect it would easily handle that. I think the 20" extension is well worth the cost unless like Jim you need mobility. It permits you to slide the headstock to the end and have a 32" swing. The headstock moves easily.

There are several reviews online, including some video. I posted my review here - https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241930-A-Hands-On-review-of-the-Laguna-Revo-1836.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I also agree the 20” extension is a good thing. 36” is a little short if you work on larger chair back posts.

The height took a little getting used to.

Last, skip the light. It does not reach as well as it should.

Otherwise the laguna is great. I especially appreciate the speed range and belt change mechanism.

How good is Laguna on their warranty? Never had a problem with a new machine warranty but it looks as if Laguna did have issues a few years back.

6. Cecil, Laguna warranty is 1 year. Less than Jet that I think it is 5 years.
    I had experiences with both customer care services (Feb 2017 with JET, June 2017 with Laguna) and with a really disappointed experience with the JET customer care, a 5 years warranty is the same as 0. I was lucky that I made my purchase on Amazon and they have a 30 days send back policy without expense.

Well I decided to drop the hammer on a new Laguna 1836-220. If I don't do it now I will never get it done. LOL

i really like my Laguna 18-36. It does everything I need for the turnings I do.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.