Thread: Why has the SMC format changed?

Blog Entries

Why has the SMC format changed?

The reality is that the format SMC has not changed, only the setting in your computer has changed.

Here is how it happens. If you do a search in the regular search bar at the upper right of any page and then select one of the SMC links suggested by google your format will change to the mobile version on a windows based computer.
    sideways 1.JPG

How to get back to normal viewing:

1. Use the back arrow on your browser to get back to a page before you did the search.

OR

2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Full Site"
    sideways 2.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Thank you for that info. I messed mine up yesterday and would never have figured out the easy one-click answer.

Tom

What a relief, thank you for the clear explanation!

Is there a way to disable the mobile version altogether? I hate having to scroll and hit full site at the bottom everytime I do a search. I've looked in account settings and don't see anything that looks like it would work.

Edit to add: Also, after I go to full site version, it appears I'm no longer logged into my account and if I login I get the invalid redirect. But I can pick a different thread in the forum list and all is well.
    Last edited by Scott Hearn; 07-10-2019 at 12:06 AM.

The appearance of Sawmill Creek changed on my computer today - and it's a Linux machine, not a windows machine. For example, the option to login is now a the bottom of the forums homepage instead at the top. (It was more convenient when at the top.)

That's certainly something on your end, Stephen...there have been zero changes to the SMC forum software in a very long time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's certainly something on your end, Stephen...there have been zero changes to the SMC forum software in a very long time now.
    I haven't updated any software. If the cause is on my end, it must have come from accidentally changing some setting.

Going by the image in the first post of this thread, I'm getting the mobile version of sawmillcreek, but I'm not getting it only after doing a search, as described in that first post. I'm getting the mobile version after I boot the machine and click on the sawmillcreek icon on the Firefox toolbar. I've done nothing to change what that icon links to.

The "Full Site" option gets me back to the "old" view of the forum that used to be the default. After doing that, if I click on the sawmillcreek icon and use the "open in new tab" option, I get the old view of the forum in a different window.

I don't know the answer.

Perhaps try recreating the Firefox tab with https://sawmillcreek.org/index.php?styleid=3
    My SawmillCreek tab is pinned so I unpinned it, switched to Mobile Style, edited the URL as above, and pinned that tab. When I click the tab it brings up mainscreen of SMC in the non-Mobile mode.

I suspect the style is saved in a cookie. If the above doesn't work, maybe try deleting the SMC cookie, switch to the non-Mobile, and try again.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I haven't updated any software. If the cause is on my end, it must have come from accidentally changing some setting.

Going by the image in the first post of this thread, I'm getting the mobile version of sawmillcreek, but I'm not getting it only after doing a search, as described in that first post. I'm getting the mobile version after I boot the machine and click on the sawmillcreek icon on the Firefox toolbar. I've done nothing to change what that icon links to.

The "Full Site" option gets me back to the "old" view of the forum that used to be the default. After doing that, if I click on the sawmillcreek icon and use the "open in new tab" option, I get the old view of the forum in a different window.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hearn View Post
    Is there a way to disable the mobile version altogether? I hate having to scroll and hit full site at the bottom everytime I do a search. I've looked in account settings and don't see anything that looks like it would work.

Edit to add: Also, after I go to full site version, it appears I'm no longer logged into my account and if I login I get the invalid redirect. But I can pick a different thread in the forum list and all is well.
    I would suggest removing your Sawmillcreek cookies and log back in using https://sawmillcreek.org/forum.php as the address. Before you do anything else select the "Full Site" option at the bottom of the page. Do not use the page back feature until you have viewed several new pages in the full site mode. Then close SMC and restart SMC That should fix your problem....it does on my Samsung Tablet. You should have new cookies after all that.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-19-2022 at 9:54 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute