Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMC members map

SMC members map

Is there a place on this site to find members via a map? I see in the Community tab you can find members by name though it would be nice to find them on a map. Kind of like how the yellow and blue cnc manufactures do. In my case I would like to find local cnc guys.

I'm not aware of one, though if you add your location to your profile, it will display in your post header. It's not as handy as a map, but if everyone added their location, it'd be a bit easier to browse and see who is where.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Blog Entries
    Is there a place on this site to find members via a map?
    How would the site software know how to place a member on a map if the member doesn't list their location?

You could be a half mile from me and we would never know.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bet an IP address would come close?
    But then there is that!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 10.45.28 AM.jpg

Right behind my house apparently!

Blog Entries
    Google places me 180 miles away near Chicago.
    "Do not track me" is a joke. The phony location masks a poorly contrived attempt to deny the fact that they track you either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Google places me 180 miles away near Chicago.
    "Do not track me" is a joke. The phony location masks a poorly contrived attempt to deny the fact that they track you either way.
    180 miles? Google must be out to lunch.

A pen turning forum displays just like that but in the profile you have to enable it and fill in the postal code. It is a vBulletin software site too.

Here's where our place is:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    I bet an IP address would come close?
    But then there is that!

Bruce
    Not if you log in through a VPN client server, which would show the host IP. Most of the time I show up in Tennessee or Florida, and it's annoying because I'm always getting advertising suggestions for those locatons on websites that track your IP.

Having a map with members locations on it has been discussed several times and in the end, a lot of people didn't want that information public so the idea was discarded.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Having a map with members locations on it has been discussed several times and in the end, a lot of people didn't want that information public so the idea was discarded.
    On the site I mentioned earlier it is your option to put your postal code in it. Don't put it in and you don't show on the map. Only logged in members can see the map.

Peter, I am neither for it nor against it but take a look at the first 12 posts of this thread. 25% of the posts, the poster doesn't have their location as part of their profile, even the OP.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

How big will this map be...? Nominating ones location is enough. If you want to contact someone who is in your area, just ask. It's done regularly to my recollection. I am personally opposed to the concept of a map. It is feeding more free data to the Google's etc. I am under no illusions as to what is known about me. Its just that my data as with everyone else's is aparrently valuable otherwise no one would be interested in it. I just try to avoid giving it away for free if there is an alternative. Cheers

Not that google has managed to figure out where I live anyway. Navigate to my place using any form of sat navigation at your peril. They all lead you through a farm gate into a paddock at a specific location. None of the locals feel inclined to see about correcting the issue. Cheers