Thread: PM2000 and dado stack

PM2000 and dado stack

I have a fairly new, ~2 years old, PM2000 table saw. This past weekend I I put a 3/4" dado stack on the saw for the first time. I have used thinner stacks but not 3/4". The PM2000 manual says the saw is built to handle a 13/16" dado stack. With a 3/4" stack the arbor nut just barely let the threaded end of the arbor end up flush with the outside of the nut. If I was using the full 13/16" stack the arbor nut would end up a thread or so short. I like to see a thread or two past a nut when tightened. The outer arbor flange could not be used at all. This was the case even with thinner stacks.

The arbor on my saw is 1 3/8" long from the face of the inner flange and the nut is 5/8" thick. A little math shows 3/4" left over. Is this normal to not have a full threaded nut when using the max dado stack and just barely enough at 3/4" ?

Are you leaving the stabilizer off?

I agree I like seeing some thread, but it's not going to come off. Any slippage or load will just tighten the nut.

If your arbor nut is 5/8'' thick you are catching more than one or two threads. Unisaws have a nut that is about 5/16 thick, so I would not worry at all. Martin's point about it tightening as you use it is bang on as well. You are good to go.

Yes Martin, I leave the stabilizer off when using a dado stack. The outer one that is.