Thread: YAG laser advice?

YAG laser advice?

So I've been patient... and finally I saw a big YAG laser come up at auction. Had to drive across the country to get it, but the price was pretty right.

I picked up a Control Laser Baublys Powermark Icon LS900 YAG laser. With controller and chiller and a BIG class 1 workstation. This is a huge system.

But I don't know much about YAG lasers. From what little I've been able to gather, they use a flash lamp that (in this case) has to be replaced every 750 to 1000 hours of operation. And apparently they generate a fair amount of waste heat (came with a water chiller cooling system).

But I'm at a loss to figure out what size or rating of replacement flash lamps or any other consumables/spares I'll need. It didn't come with any documentation. I shot an email off to Control Laser to see if they can help.

Figured I'd post this here since ya'll have been really helpful in the past. Will post pictures soon. I've got help coming this weekend to help me get it all off the trailer and into my shop.

Well a Google did not show anything relevant and that's kind of scary. How many watts and I hope it came with the software, manual and its in running condition. I suspect its going to be expensive to repair, but who knows? I did find a video and it looks interesting > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclRCx5OFUw
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-29-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Well a Google did not show anything relevant and that's kind of scary. How many watts and I hope it came with the software, manual and its in running condition. I suspect its going to be expensive to repair, but who knows? I did find a video and it looks interesting > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclRCx5OFUw
    I'm not sure about power. I didn't see a badge on it that readily identified power output but I'll look again. The ones I've seen for sale elsewhere were advertised as 75W or 90W machines. Which makes sense. It's supposed to do deep engraving on metals.

Most consumable item appears to be the "flash bulb" which has to be replaced every 750 to 1000 hours. I found a place that carries new ones for 160 bucks apiece. Haven't shopped around tho.
    Next most consumable would be water filter for the chiller.
    Last would be the crystal rod. The actual Ytterbium, Aluminum, Garnet rod (YAG) that makes the laser beam when energy is passed through it. The maintenance sheet that was in a box at the plant that auctioned it off indicated that was a replace every 2 years item.

No indication of hours, tho. But if that plant's usage schedule was any indication, it'll take me years to run through a rod. They had records going back a couple of years where they were changing out the flash bulbs on a monthly schedule every 400 to 600 hours and had never changed the rod in that time. Those appear to be anywhere from 100 bucks to 1000 bucks, but some of the industrial laser supply/repair places I've looked at seem to refurbish them.

Negative on manual or software, which is definitely a bummer. I've tried emailing Control Laser but not response yet. Will call them tomorrow during working hours.

I saw that one you linked to on youtube. That one has a rotary cartridge setup where you can set up multiple fixtures to REALLY crank out lots of parts fast. That would be awesome but I'm not there yet.

For starters, I'm thinking about just getting an FFL and doing NFA engraving as a side business. But we'll see. I haven't even gotten it off my trailer yet. Waiting on some friends to come help me get it off the trailer this weekend.

Looks to be a fun project and I hope you get it running.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

These things need often need a lot of power to run, usually 3 phase /380 v !
    Getting the software could be fun, you really need to got the PC they would have hooked up to it . I have a garage full of old electrox tkyma yag Lasers , they work but to be honest they are really worth scrap now as the tech is so old