Thread: Building an entertainment center:

Building an entertainment center:

My neighbor who has no experience in woodworking came over with a hand drawn sketch of an entertainment center and asked me what I thought. After giving him a short tutorial of what it takes to build such a project I let him drag me in little by little until I was fully engaged. His shop consisted of a contractors saw that was badly out of alignment and some hand tools. To make a long story short I spent many days and full use of my shop and expensive tools. He furnished the grunt work and trips to Lowe's and Home Depot and I became his shop teacher and mentor. Together we turned his hand drawn sketch into something we could both be proud of.

Entertainment Center 2.jpg

Full extension self closing drawers, soft close doors on the bottom, bead board backing, dimensions 8'x8'
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 08-28-2018 at 6:17 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Looks Great... You just became neighbor of the year.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

By the time I got finished I set of felt like the neighbor of the year. Thanks Von.

Very nice Gordon! Wish I had a neighbor as kindly as you are.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice project Gordon. How long from start to finish?

That's a very attractive and functional cabinet, Gordon. Congratulations to you both.

Blog Entries
    Super job in three regards. First it is a really nice cabinet with nice features. Second you helped someone learn the craft of woodworking. Finally you probably have strengthened a long lasting friendship.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nicely done Gordon! I am sure your neighbor rates you very highly!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice work, Gordon. Looks like you custom fitted sections for all the electronics, too.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Very nice Gordon! Wish I had a neighbor as kindly as you are.
    Fred
    Thanks Fred, I appreciate your comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Very nice project Gordon. How long from start to finish?
    Hi Mark: We worked around the neighbors schedule and it took just over three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    That's a very attractive and functional cabinet, Gordon. Congratulations to you both.
    Thank you Yonak, my neighbor has gotten lots of nice comments about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Super job in three regards. First it is a really nice cabinet with nice features. Second you helped someone learn the craft of woodworking. Finally you probably have strengthened a long lasting friendship.
    Not just my neighbor but his wife as well. She has brought over meals and baked goods on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Nicely done Gordon! I am sure your neighbor rates you very highly!
    We are definitely good friends. Thanks Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Nice work, Gordon. Looks like you custom fitted sections for all the electronics, too.
    This was after several redraws of the original sketch. We also built it in modular form and then put it together. Thank you for your nice comment Julie.
    Best Regards,

Gordon