Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video editing software

Video editing software

Does anyone have recommendations for free video editing software? I am familiar with iMovie, but I will not be using an iPhone or iPad to shoot these videos. Basically as my son gets older playing hockey and lacrosse I would like to try and put together a highlight reel. Since I'm not sure how well this will work with sports in which constant movement is expected, I don't want to invest in something right off the bat. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bryan

If you're on Windows, Win10 has a Video Editor application included.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am using Windows 7. Probably should have mentioned that in original post.

I thought Microsoft included an application for video editing on Win7, too...but I don't have a copy to look at. My VM on my Mac is at Win10 and my CNC machine's controller PC is also Win10.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used a program called Lightworks. Have not messed with it much but it seems to work for my very, very limited use.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you're on Windows, Win10 has a Video Editor application included.

Thanks Jim for pointing it out. Never noticed it before. Tagged "New" so must have been included in an update???
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I have used a program called Lightworks. Have not messed with it much but it seems to work for my very, very limited use.
    Dave, this is 1 that I have researched, even with your limited use, how easy is it to figure out?

I have used lightworks. It's actually a very capable program. Not as intuitive as iMovie (the other one I've tried) but probably more capable once you know what you're doing. I was able to put together a time-lapse video of a woodworking project (100s of clips) without too much of a learning curve.

One issue with the free version is that you can only export the video as 720p (intended for upload to youtube). If you want to do a higher resolution you would need the pro version, not sure how much that costs.

Thanks Robert. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Dave, this is 1 that I have researched, even with your limited use, how easy is it to figure out?

I was able to figure it out and do what I wanted. I plan this fall after yard work is done to try and learn more about it.
    - Rick Dale

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

DaVinci Resolve 15. The free version still has a lot of features, but it's relatively easy to just add video clips, cut them and upload the finished video.

As I'm on Linux, I use Kdenlive. It's also available for Windows and Mac.

I haven't checked out DaVinci Resolve, but it also seems to support Linux, which is awesome! Maybe I should give it a look.

I use DaVinci Resolve. It's free and has a solid range of features, including cropping, trimming, and filters, which are great for action shots. The learning curve is steep, but many online tutorials help.

It will be interesting to see if things have changed much in the 5 years since the OP asked this question.

Seems like software used to improve (or at least change) quite a bit with each new version, but things seem to have settled down quite a bit over the last few years.

Has the focus moved from desktop software to phone software? Or has the move to the cloud/internet stifled innovation?

I use the video editor from Movavi. It's not entirely free, but it does have a robust set of free features that's enough for casual editing. It's pretty intuitive and easier to navigate than some other editors.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i