Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy your garage floor...yes or no?

Epoxy your garage floor...yes or no?

My neighbors are doing this and I was wondering if this is "a good thing to do"? Anybody with experience with an epoxied floor?
    Thanks for any input!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

It's great when it is done right. A neighbor did it to his new shop floor but he was impatient and applied it when it was too cold. It never adhered properly and as soon as he started moving stuff into the shop, the epoxy immediately cracked and peeled and looks like it had a bad sunburn. There are epoxy flakes all over the floor always coming up.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

This is being applied in the middle of summer, on a very warm day after power washing the floor and making sure it is clean and dry. It should adhere really well. If that's the worst problem to worry about, they have it made. Thanks for the alert about putting it down on a cold surface. The same could be said for roofs. My brother-in-law designs the machines that make roofing tiles. He says the tiles are made to be applied in warm weather so the glue melts and adheres to the tile below. He cringes when he sees a team applying a roof in winter in Chicago. Hopefully, the glue will melt enough for the tile to adhere to when the weather warms up and really melts and adheres to the point it is intended. But roofers need employment and it seems they are willing to take the chance no real heavy wind will damage their job until warm weather arrives. Just try to get a guarantee, IN WRITING, from them during the winter months.
    Last edited by Don Morris; 08-28-2018 at 1:20 PM.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Don, there are some garage forums for gearheads, hot rodders, car guys, etc that have a LOT of information on various floor coatings, the do's and don'ts. GOOGLE is you friend in this regard. The one thing I would be cautious about is the slip factor with sawdust. I don't recall any specifics, but I recall some comments (maybe here) about IF the finish is too glossy, the slipping danger may increase with sawdust. Conversely, too gritty a finish makes it a PITA to sweep. Again, I don't recall the specifics, but I seem to recall there was a balance available that did not cause me to rule it out (my "To Do List" keeps growing). Good luck. Patrick

Check out Ucoatit.com. I have lots of car guy buddies who swear by it. I never used it as I had already used another product but I would do it in a heartbeat in the future.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Real, two-part epoxy- yes. The stuff they sell at Home Depot that calls itself epoxy but is really just enamel paint- no.

I would have said no - just another thing I won't be able to keep clean. Then saw some photos in the September Family Handyman magazine. Google this: Metallic Epoxy Garage Floor Paint I doubt I could afford it, but that would be the ultimate.

If it's done correctly the only downfall I know about is it makes the floor more slippery.

Couple of positive things are the look, especially if you get a lighter color it will increase the brightness in the area. It makes sweeping a breeze. Get a nice shop brush, the ones with the fine bristles and you can do a single push clean.

My neighbor did it and said it makes the floor dangerously slippery..

I had my garage done professionally and it's great. They start by grinding the concrete to remove the skin on the concrete that has oil and other stuff on it. Then they lay the epoxy. Before the epoxy sets, they sprinkle some color stuff on the epoxy. The guy has "nail shoes", that is shoes with a bed of nails in the sole so he doesn't leave prints in the epoxy as he walks on the epoxy to spread the sprinkle stuff. The next day, the epoxy is cured and they sweep off the excess sprinkle stuff.

Then a few days later, they come back and put a clear coat on top. It is NOT slippery. I've walked on it wet, with sawdust on it, and never felt that my footing was uncertain.

My shop is in the two car section of the garage and my wife has the remaining one car section. I built a wall between the two sections. Her section is fine, no peeling or other failures.

I would recommend you have it done professionally and check out the reviews of the people who do it. If done right, it's a good looking, long lasting coating for the garage.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Epoxy coatings work very well if you follow the directions. I epoxied my main garage floor 15 years ago. Still looks good today with only minimal wear. This is my parking garage and welding area. Did my shop 10 years ago and RV garage 3 years ago. All look good and no problems with it being slippery.

Blog Entries
    I plan on moving in a year or so and my double car/shop floor is a disaster. What is a reasonable price range for epoxy?

Surface prep is very very important. if it is not clear and proper, grind it (or similar).

Surface preparation and pre treatment of cracks in the concrete are crucial as is moisture content. To test for moisture, get a 2 foot square of clear plastic film, tape it to the floor and leave it for 24 hours. If there is condensation, it has to dry longer or you have a problem and the coating will lift. The plastic must by dry at the end of the test.

Having you considered just getting the concrete ground and polished? You don't have to go full gloss which avoids a slippery surface.

Epoxy is OK if it's done right. If not, it is a disaster for the life of the slab unless you spend a lot more money. The comments about slippery vs non slip are entirely related to whether the product is made as non slip or what grade of sand was broadcast over the top of the wet coating and how it was applied.

If you do this yourself, do a test run somewhere out of the way. This establishes the technique to get the finish you want. You then follow that procedure without deviation so that the whole area ends up uniform. Cheers

I say yes.

Go over to garagejournal and you will get all the information you could ever want on epoxy floors and some of the dealers of the high quality stuff have sales and coupon codes there. Do PROPER prep and use a quality coating and you will be happy.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.