Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy your garage floor...yes or no?

I agree with everything mike says. I had mine professionally done and it is wonderful. The chips are key. I epoxied my dads about ten years ago without chips and it WAS slippery when wet.

If it's done right,it's very nice. I do think it's a process outside the DIY category, unless your Jason Roehl.

I've watched them epoxy coat the floors at work for thirty years. I work in a 3 reactor nuclear power site. Temperature seems to be a key factor. They keep track of ambient temps and humidity and have a temp probe in the epoxy also. It's a BIG job from beginning to end. Each step takes at least 24 hours after the old floor coating is ground off.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-02-2018 at 8:57 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I had a friend do it to the floor of a huge pole building.
    When he poured the concrete he ran just short of the moisture barrier underneath. The back half the width of the barn and about 2 foot from the back wall.
    That is the only place it has peeled off.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've painted, not epoxied, 2 garage floors. Both were cleaned and etched with muriatic acid. The last one was over 20 years ago and I don't know what kind of paint I used but I was happy with both. I added some ground walnuts shells to the second one for non-skid. Is paint too old-school to consider?