Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still use a belt sander?

I have been using a belt sander for a very long time (50+ years). I am very comfortable using one and do so often, both in general building and infurniture making. Currently have a PC 3x24 that gets used on virtually every large slab after the router sled.

"for the work I tend to do"

and there lies the answer to many of these posts. used lots or hardly ever when it does a function you need to do there is no question about having one.

I used to sand a lot of house entry doors with a 4 inch Porter Cable. Sand the stiles first, then rails ,then muntins. Then orbital sand. I can do that faster than two guys using several grits and numerous passes through wide belt. This method avoids leaving cross grain scratches or hard to sand "steps" at joints.

Own two of the PC 3 X 21 ones. They can't be beat for bringing two surfaces to an even level. Since slowing down of my business, I don't use them as often. Learned many years ago to not buy extra belts, but buy them as needed.

geez Mel what an old school guy yeah aggree, and ive tons of smaller doors on my stroke sander as well, rails first then styles then over it with a random then fast straight by hand depending on the finish to follow. there will be minimal cross grain where the rail and style meet from the stroke but cleans up fast and easy with the random. You have to have some feel for both of those. I use a finer belt than normal for that, 150 or 180 on the stroke if im remembering correctly. Get what you are saying about the joints Bruce but stroke sander belts come in tens usually. Ive had 3 x 21 blow apart but not many stroke sander belts for whatever reason and ive got some where i bought large quantities years back that are fine. They had a few ways or got better at making those joints.

Warren has me beat with that stroke sander. I can't do much with them. Years ago I ordered some belts for one,about 29 feet. Twice they sent me belts 29".

My OLD Ryobi 3 x 21 just won't die, and I've used the heck out of it.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

6 x 309", I can forecast the weather from how they curl, more accurate than the meteorological society and maybe even Grannies weather beetle
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-28-2018 at 2:59 PM.

Yep-got one of the PC 4x24s. Super tough tool. I mostly use it these days clamped upside down in the vise for rough shaping tool edges, but can also get my kitchen knives pretty sharp with 1000 grit in about 30 seconds.

Its made appearances on floors and slabs, too.

PC 3x21 that I've had since the 80s or very early 90s. I bring it out when I want to make a quick divot in a table top or some other project that I've invested a lot of time in.

I use mine all the time it's a PC 3/21. The trade show companies that I worked for had many belt sanders as they worked great to even out the wall panels that they build.

I have a late 80's early 90's PC 3x21.
    Most every project it makes at least an appearance or two.
    You can hide a lot of mistakes with one. You can really mess things up with one too.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I like edge sanding large tabletops and such with mine. I bolt an electric planer fence on the side to keep things square.

I also have a Bosch. Mainly used on unruly cutting boards. Mike O'Keefe

I still use them in fact I just bought a porter cable compact belt sander I luck out since porter cable discontinued them. I love the heck out of it.