Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The perpetual question: Minimax v. Hammer, does it really just come down to price?

I never could figure out a significant difference between the two either. For me it came down to Hammer because their west coast office/showroom is very close to me and I was able to avoid shipping costs and their equipment is cheaper. I just jumped on the recent IWF deal for the A3-31 and am waiting for that to come into the warehouse next month. I also have a Hammer N4400 that has been great for my needs.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, I'm curious - how are the saw blades different?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi, I'm not Jim, and I don't play him in a commercial either.

That said the Felder/Hammer saw blades have a 30mm bore and two 9.5mm holes at 46.35 mm radius from the center.

The 9.5mm holes are for two pins that lock the blade to the arbour (the saw has automatic blade braking).................Regards, Rod.

I've never read a horror story of poor customer service about Felder/Hammer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've never read a horror story of poor customer service about Felder/Hammer.

John
    Ive read the various Laguna horror stories too but personally had nothing but top notch response and service when I encountered a small issue on my laguna lathe. Go figure. Guess mostly only negative experiences get posted but so far my Felder experience has been good.......... all except for not already having the new toy in hand. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, I'm curious - how are the saw blades different?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The Minimax takes a normal "table saw" blade...5/8" or 1" bore with no special drilling. I can also use a normal 8" or 6" dado stack. Felder has a larger bore with two alignment bores and only supports their dado setup. This is not to be taken as a "negative"...it's just something that's different that one needs to know. It's certainly possible to get existing blades bored out by a competent service so they can be used on the Hammer/Felder, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I........ all except for not already having the new toy in hand. LOL
    (and now for the extra stuff to meet the 10 character minimum)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Ive read the various Laguna horror stories too but personally had nothing but top notch response and service when I encountered a small issue on my laguna lathe. Go figure. Guess mostly only negative experiences get posted but so far my Felder experience has been good.......... all except for not already having the new toy in hand. LOL
    Those bad experiences did happen to someone though. I bought a Grizzly bandsaw and had nothing but a good experience. I get your point, but if I had a choice between two companies making very similar products at very similar prices the one that had the better CS would be the way I fell.

Personally, I rarely buy new stationary machines. I'm happy letting someone else deal with any problems with a new machine purchase, and then pay about half the price of new when they decide to sell. That's how I became the happy owner of a Minimax FS35. It was 30+ years old when I bought it; looked brand new in it's yellow paint.

John

Thanks Greg, I've modified my post, I added information about the riving knife complaint...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The Minimax takes a normal "table saw" blade...5/8" or 1" bore with no special drilling. I can also use a normal 8" or 6" dado stack. Felder has a larger bore with two alignment bores and only supports their dado setup. This is not to be taken as a "negative"...it's just something that's different that one needs to know. It's certainly possible to get existing blades bored out by a competent service so they can be used on the Hammer/Felder, too.
    Jim, the Felder/Hammer machines will also use a stacked dado, I happen to have an FS Tools dado, almost any manufacturer can supply one.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jim, the Felder/Hammer machines will also use a stacked dado, I happen to have an FS Tools dado, almost any manufacturer can supply one.......Rod.
    Hmm...do you have to have them drilled out for the alignment pins or is there an alternative arbor used for that?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hmm...do you have to have them drilled out for the alignment pins or is there an alternative arbor used for that?
    Hi Jim, you have to have then drilled.

Since the arbour is 30mm I often use the dado on the shaper as an adjustable groover.............Rod.

Forrest makes a dado stack that fits a Felder slider, though it isn't cheap.

if the spec is exactly the same and the waiting time is the same, but SCM/Minimax is slightly more than Felder, I go for the SCM/Minimax.

I have a new Felder AD951 and I have owned 2 x SCM wide belt sanders to date

If I am making a purchase again for a wide belt sander, I will buy SCM.

Felder does have some nice feature but its up to individual's preference.

I like Italian woodworking machines. I have a few in my workshop(Masterwood, Griggio, Omga) and I wouldnt want to trade it for anything else, the only reason I bought the Felder was because there was no SCM JP combo in the entire Oceania back then, the nearest JP combo(500mm+ capacity) is in SCM's showroom in Italy and it will take 4 months to arrive - I need it within 4 days. I cant wait for 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    if the spec is exactly the same and the waiting time is the same, but SCM/Minimax is slightly more than Felder, I go for the SCM/Minimax.

I have a new Felder AD951 and I have owned 2 x SCM wide belt sanders to date

If I am making a purchase again for a wide belt sander, I will buy SCM.

Felder does have some nice feature but its up to individual's preference.

I like Italian woodworking machines. I have a few in my workshop(Masterwood, Griggio, Omga) and I wouldnt want to trade it for anything else, the only reason I bought the Felder was because there was no SCM JP combo in the entire Oceania back then, the nearest JP combo(500mm+ capacity) is in SCM's showroom in Italy and it will take 4 months to arrive - I need it within 4 days. I cant wait for 4 months.

Good info Albert. I’ve been looking heavily at the SCM/MM sliders for a next year purchase even though I ended up with the Hammer J/P.

So I finally chose the MM FS30c. I placed the order with Sam and should be seeing the details on lead time tomorrow. Thanks everyone.