Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing v belt on grizzly table saw

Replacing v belt on grizzly table saw

Hi all. I'm replacing the 3 v-belts on my grizzly G0690 cabinet saw. I ordered the belts from Grizzly after they confirmed the correct size of the part.

The issue I have is I cannot get the belts on both pulleys following the owners manual instructions for detensioning the existing belts. Anyone have this problem? There is a bolt to loosen that allows the motor to move up about a half inch. I have done that I still can't get the new belts on ANY of the 3 positions.

I sent an email to Grizzly asking the same but haven't heard back yet. Any tricks, tips, or something I am overlooking is appreciated.

Mark

I have a 691 put have never changed belts.

1/2" sounds on the low side. See if you can get any more movement.

If not place belt in outermost groove of one pulley. Then place it partially in groove of other pulley. Try to rotate pulleys so that belts get pulled into place.

If this works you will have to use a similar method to try shifting the belt inward. Shift belt qhile turning pulleys.

Hope this helps.

MK

Call Grizzly tech support. I have found them very helpful.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    I can't remember for sure but it seems I tilted the saw to 45 degrees to do it .

Just a thought.......but I did get them changed.

Good luck

JEFF

Well I contacted grizzly tech support. They confirmed I have the right replacement belt and have been responsive to my questions. However, I still am unable to replace the belt. Going on 2 weeks with no tablesaw. I have several thousand dollars of grizzly machines in my garage and am at my wits end. I have asked for a refund of the belts I ordered from grizzly and plan to go the linked belt route.

There simply is not enough slack to roll on the new belts.

Take the Grizzly belt to an automotive parts place and have them give you the next size up. You could even get the next up from that in case it needs a bit more. Take back the ones that don't fit.

Mark, if you do plan to return the belts, I would recommend segmented belts for your table saw. I have had luck with them for my Jet cabinet saw .. really cut down the vibration.

I have 3 link belts on a G1023, did it before hearing I wasn't supposed to do that and they've been fine far as I can tell. If I were doing it again I'd probably use AX

https://www.vbelts4less.com/Classic-...Belts_c_8.html

They're supposed to not take a set like the link belts but are less expensive and might be a little quieter due to less air turbulence. As far as matched sets, modern manufacturing tolerances are likely tight enough that matched sets aren't really required. I don't run my G1023 belts very tight and have no noticeable slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Take the Grizzly belt to an automotive parts place and have them give you the next size up. You could even get the next up from that in case it needs a bit more. Take back the ones that don't fit.
    This ^^^^^^

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have 3 link belts on a G1023, did it before hearing I wasn't supposed to do that and they've been fine far as I can tell.
    I'm not sure where this truism comes from. I have link belts on almost everything. There is some thought that they are not heavy duty enough when industrial use is their birth place.

link-1.JPG

Belts for multi-belt sleeves need to be fairly close in size but, for a 10" tablesaw I know many people just run one when changing them out. I'm not recommending this, just stating a practice reported.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So will the belt even partially hook on the pulley? There is a technique called rolling the belt on. You rotate the pulley and roll the belt on. You start at the outer grrove and work it in to the inner groove. You only need to get it to start to catch the groove to make this work. It's not unusual to have belts that seem to short. If you get the next size longer at the auto parts store you most likely won't be able to tension it. 1/2" of travel on adjustment isn't much. You might also see if removing the tensioning lock bolt will allow the motor to move closer to the arbor pulley. Good luck.

Update: I returned the grizzly belts and ordered regular v belts at 3/8" x 25", the exact measurements of the original belts. Still no luck with rolling them on. I can get one belt on put can't get the others. Anyone who lives in Atlanta want to make a few bucks by doing this for me? Please PM.

Mark

Blog Entries
    I am sorry for your frustration with this. I would be glad to drop by but, I'm out on the left coast. I hope a nearby Creeker will chime in and help you out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grizzly youtube video appears to be lots of slack maybe a hint there to help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83npA3lI4w

I replaced my belts with notched v belts with no problem. I actually only use a single belt now because it seems to reduce the vibration down to almost nothing and haven't had any slipping issues. Rolling the belts off was pretty easy. That said, are you sure you got the right belts? If memory serves me, our saw uses Z profile metric belts.